Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Dean Koontz

There are a few authors that I actually track--checking the internet for their next book. One of those is Dean Koontz. I check Amazon.com regularly so I know when a new Koontz is released. For example, his next novel, The Husband, is being released May 30. The first part of May I will log onto my library account and put that book on hold.

With few exceptions, I love Koontz's books.
Koontz's grasp and descriptions of good and evil is awesome. His writing is colorful, descriptive and, at times, even poetic. Koontz makes me feel that with a long series of wrong choices, any of us could be truly bad. That feeling encourages me to strive to make the right choices. His consideration of good and evil surpasses any other author I"ve read. In spite of the horrific evil portrayed, I'm usually filled with hope and fortitude by the time things wind to an end. Also worth noting while reading Koontz are his fabulous descriptions of the sky. It would have been fun to write down all his varied and graphic descriptions of sunrises and sunsets and everything in between.

Koontz is the master of suspense. I am always totally immersed in his stories and characters.
One of my favorites is From the Corner of His Eye. After you read this, you might think twice about the consequences of the smallest things you do. The characters are well fleshed-out and you really care about them and are encouraged by them. This book is suspenseful, sad, hopeful, funny and thought-provoking. I have pages in my reading journal with fabulous quotes from this book. I'll limit myself to sharing just a few.
* When your're as hollow as Enoch Cain, the emptiness aches. He's desperate to fill it, but he doesn't have the patience or the commitment to fill it with anything worthwhile. Love, charity, faith, wisdom - those virtues & others are hard won, with commitment & patience and we acquire them one spoonful at a time. Cain wants to be filled quickly. He wants the emptiness inside poured full, in quick, great gushes, and right now.
* There must be something important I'm supposed to do that I'll do better if I'm blind.
* . . . sore tooth of truth.

Another favorite is Odd Thomas and its follow-up, Forever Odd. Odd is the name of the main character. Two quotes from Odd:
* Sometimes simply getting from bed to bathroom can take the charm out of a new day.
* We who survive must go on in the names of those who fall. Perserverance is impossible if we don't permit ourselves to hope.

My husband and sister have both read the first two books in Koontz's Frankenstein series. They loved them. I'm waiting until the 3rd one comes out so I don't have the agonizing 2-year wait in between each book.

Reading Dean Koontz is like coming home for me, which is a weird analogy, but both fill me with satisfied sighs.

2 comments:

Alyson said...

One question...what was wrong with the title "A Reader's Journal"? I liked it. Not that your new title isn't nice; I was just wondering why you changed it.

Booklogged said...

I really don't know. Thought the other one sounded dull. Like this sounds exciting?! I was mostly just fooling around to see if I could change it. When you come up with a really pazzazzi title, let me know. I need all the help I can get.