Pages

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Jello Belt


Okay so this isn't a book, but I was reading so I think this entry is appropriate for my reading blog. My nephew Ben is really a great guy with a fun personality and a charming smile. I was reading his Furiousblog tonight and found an article about the Jello Belt. WHAT?! Hard to believe but this is an actual entry on Wikipedia.com.

The Jello Belt is a colloquial term in American English that refers to the parts of the Western United States with large populations of "Mormons" (properly called Latter-Day Saints). In academic literature, the area is more commonly called the "Mormon culture region.

The name "Jello Belt" references the affection that Mormons supposedly have for Jell-O (a gelatin-based food), particularly when served with shredded carrots, or blended with canned fruit and set in molds. Green Jell-O, for some reason, is the most stereotypically Mormon of Jell-O flavor-colors. Jell-O has been designated Utah's official state snack food.

And of course, they include the map. So funny!

9 comments:

Alyson said...

I thought this was hilarious as well. It fits so well.

Alyson said...

P.S. Really cute changes to your blog!

Cassie said...

Wow, I am so impressed with your blog changes. Very eastery. Interesting the stuff people come up with about the states.

Myke Weber said...

I think the smudge should have been green for green jell-o. Red is so jack-mormon.

Booklogged said...

I agree with you, Myke. They really missed the boat by not using green for the jello belt.

Anonymous said...

I hate green jello. I only like red jello, except for orange with carrots and pineapple in it is okay. Do you think I will be excommunicated?

Booklogged said...

Shaneen, you are not going to get released so get over it!

Anonymous said...

Fine. Just for that I'm bringing green jello with blobs of cottage cheese in it for our next family dinner. Ymmm.

Lotus Reads said...

I LOVE curious bits of information like this! We hardly ever eat Jell-O at our house (not sure why, because the kids love it) but the next time we do, I'll have to remember to tell my family about the Jello Belt!

Good stuff! :)