Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Face-to-Face Book Club Funny :D

Our book club meets every 3rd Tuesday. This month we are reading Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Due to our long, wonderful vacation and our upheaval at home I had only read about 40 pages before Tuesday nights meeting. As it turned out that was no big deal because I forgot to go. I had family over for dinner in the backyard and we had so much fun visiting that I forgot until it was 8:00 - an hour too late! I was quite disappointed. :(

Today when my mom, daughter and I were at the quilt show, we ran into a girl from book club. We didn't recognize each other right off, but eventually she recognized me and asked, "Aren't you in book club?" I said I was and asked about Tuesday's meeting, expressing my disappointment in not attending and my positive feelings for the book so far. She said I was mistaken - it wasn't last Tuesday, it's this coming up Tuesday. I was so excited and recommitted myself to reading faster so I could finish in time. Then I asked if she knew who had recommended Bel Canto. She said it was that lady that didn't come very often. And I said, "That's me!" A look of further recognition sparked in her eyes and she confirmed that it was, indeed, me. How could I so thoroughly forget something like this? I stammered for a minute or two in unbelief because I never recommend a book that I haven't already read. As I keep going over this scene in my head it creates a slight breeze that nudges the cobwebs and I ever so vaguely recollect recommending it but that was forever ago or in a dream, wasn't it? Between my mind and my waist, I'm not sure which one I miss the most!

16 comments:

Alyson said...

You recommended the book and didn't remember that you recommended it? That IS funny. Does that mean you have to lead the discussion?

Booklogged said...

Aly, it does mean I'm supposed to lead the discussion. Sometimes I feel bad about my bad memory, but it does provide for some good laughs. I think others should have to contribute some of the humor, though. Why does it ALWAYS have to be ME?!

Kailana said...

lol! That's a great story! I have never read Bel Canto, but I own it... it's not THAT long, you should be able to read it by Tuesday... Good thing you ran into her and talked about that and not just the date, it would have been worse to show up on Tuesday and find out you were supposed to be leading it, I would think.

lazy cow said...

Oh, I loved that book, I read it and recommended it to my bookgroup (but remembered it was my recommendation!) Did you read about the controversy over Ann Patchett's book Truth and Beauty recently?
(BTW, thanks for the compliment about last Friday's flashback photo - and NO, I was certainly not popular with the boys, I never dated in high school).

Joy said...

LOL It seems that in the long run it all worked out, so that's a good thing. :) Enjoy the read.

jenclair said...

I'd say you've had a lot on your mind lately! How's the basement, btw?

I loved Bel Canto and recommended it to several people--none of whom seemed to care much for it. Had to assume that it was their problem...:P

Cassie said...

That's it. You are officially losing your mind. To forget something like a book that you recommended? Wow. (: I'm excited to hear what you think of it.

Stephanie said...

Oh that is so funny!! Yes, I've decided that my mind is going as well. Not sure where, but it's not around here! I haven't read Bel Canto either, but I've heard good things about it!

Booklogged said...

Kailana, You are so right - it would have been worse to show up to club not knowing it was my selection. YIKES!

Lazy Cow, I haven't heard about the controversy and can't find anything with my searches. I'd love to know.

Joy, It did work out. I made the woman swear not to tell anyone. Of course, I come home an announce to all my blogging friends. :P

Jenclair, I am enjoying what I've read so far. As for the basement... M has the sewer line dug up - it was over 7 feet below the surface! Luckily he rented a little backhoe but still had to shovel and pick some. The health inspector comes on Monday to say if we can start remodeling or if there needs to be more done to kill the mold. Keeping our fingers crossed that we can get to work soon.

Booklogged said...

Cassie, You read this one not too long ago, didn't you? I can't remember if you liked it or not.

Stephanie, I keep wondering when someone's going to take notice and keep me locked away from the public!

Les said...

This was quite a funny post. Only because it sounds so much like me! :)

I loved, loved, loved Bel Canto! I hope your group has a good discussion. I think it's the sort of book that lends itself to a lively discussion. Good luck!

Petunia said...

That's the kind of thing that would happen to me. Thanks for sharing the funny. I haven't read the book but I own a copy. It sounds like one I need to pick up soon.

Amey said...

that lady that didn't come very often

Now I wonder why is that ;)

J said...

I bought this book, and it took me a long time to actually get around to reading it. I'm not sure why, but it just didn't grab my interest. Then I finally got around to it, and I LOVED it. Gave it as a gift (my highest compliment) and the person said, "Meh". So I'll be interested to find out what YOU think!

Cassie said...

No I've never read it. I've heard things and it may be on my list.

Lotus Reads said...

lol, your post made me smile booklogged, thank you for sharing this! And don't worry, I can quite see myself recommending a book to someone and then completely forgetting I did so...guess our minds are filled with far too many good books and recommendations! ;)