Pages

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Admit One

by Emmett James

I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir of a young British boy who grows up with the desire to be a movie star. Emmett James grew up loving the movies and looked forward to seeing one every Saturday. Each chapter opens with the title of a movie that correlates to an incident from his own life. Here's a quote from the introduction:
I wrote this book under the guise that the key to experiencing film, without losing relevance and meaning, is context. The environment, mood, personal history and circumstances in which a person sees a film changes that film in a necessary, unique and exciting way. It creates a whole new story - a living, breathing film. The film of one's life.
Interesting. We could say the same thing about experiencing a book, couldn't we?

It was interesting to read about a young boy growing up in England in the 1980s because it was so different from my life growing up female in the 60s in America. And yet going to the movies was a highlight for us both. His movies were Jungle Book, Grease, ET; while mine were Old Yeller, Big Top, and West Side Story.

I loved running across British terminology and wished I'd made a written note rather than only a mental note of all the fun words as the mental note fades so fast. The only word that comes to mind right now is nick, meaning to shoplift.

When Emmett moves to LA he receives quite the culture shock and makes some interesting comments about things that I take for granted as part of the American life style. He talks about the sunny climate and that the only season in LA is the Oscar season and what a big change there is in throughout the whole area in getting ready for it. He had many interesting experiences trying to land acting jobs. Poor guy!

All-in-all, an enjoyable book with some nuggets of insight into life. I liked it.

14 comments:

Nikki in Niagara said...

I really enjoyed the first part about his boyhood in England, too! But can't say the last part about his 'career' did anything for me.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

This is on my list. It looks great.

J.L. Danger said...

Going on my list!

J.L. Danger said...

p.s.- tagged you for a Meme!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a really cute book. I was a movie freak myself but in the 70's.

Iliana said...

Oh this sounds cute. The first part, in particular sounds like something I'd enjoy - love those growing up/coming of age type stories.

Framed said...

Great review, but I think I'll skip the book. This one just isn't calling my name quite as loudly as so many others on my list.

Bookfool said...

I love British English. It's so colorful! Not sure this is a book for me, but I enjoyed your review. :)

Gentle Reader said...

This one might be fun for me since I live in LA, and his commentary as a British outsider could be interesting...thanks!

Stephanie said...

Nice review. This sounds like one that would be a lot of fun!

Alessandra said...

Hi! I found your blog through the BBAW list. Nice blog you have! I liked Admit One too.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review. I can't wait to read it!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

great review. i really want to read this book. it sounnds amazing and i love to read books by british authors. it's such fun!!!


-lauren

come and chat. win some contests.

Anonymous said...

Great review. I, too, enjoyed this book. I found it refreshing and hilarious. My review can be found here: http://www.oldmustybooks.com/2008/05/19/emmett-james-admit-one/