Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paper Doll

by Robert B. Parker

My first book by this author and #20 in the Spenser series.  I listened to this one while squaring up and pressing quilt blocks.  I am old enough to remember Robert Urich playing the lead in the Spenser for Hire tv series.  I watched it faithfully so it's surprising I never read any of the books.

Spenser is hired by a wealthy Bostonian to find who bludgeon his beautiful, socialite wife.  His search for answers takes Spenser to South Carolina and some surprising secrets.

I liked this book a lot but I think I would have rather watched it.  Susan, Spencer's girlfriend, came across poorly with the male reader trying to sound slightly feminine.  Luckily, she didn't show up that much.  Sadly, Hawk didn't either.  I think I will read, rather than listen to, my next Robert Parker book.

Side note - Parker is also the author of the Jessie Stone books.  I enjoy those shows a lot too.  I wonder if he wrote those with Tom Selleck in mind because Selleck is perfect as Stone.



1 comment:

Zibilee said...

You know, I have never really thought about it before, but there are definitely some books that I would rather watch as television shows than actually read, and most of the time, those are thrillers for me. I do think it's interesting that this book is based on preexisting characters though, and I think your review was fair and balanced. Thanks for sharing it!