Pages

Monday, September 03, 2012

Garment of Shadows

by Laurie R. King

I started this series quite by happenstance several years ago.  At the library I had picked up a couple of books with a word in the title dealing with bees.  This was not an intentional decision.  After reading two, I looked at the 3rd - The Beekeeper's Apprentice - and realized it had to do with Sherlock Holmes.  I was not excited but since I had already decided this was the summer of bee-themed books, I ventured forward.  I'm glad I did.  I have thoroughly enjoy this series.

Garment of Shadows is the 13th or 14th book in the series and I think it's the best one yet.  The story starts off with Mary waking up with bruises, cuts, a reeling headache, and amnesia.  She doesn't know where she is but she senses she is not safe.  For the reader, the stage is set and the questions are numerous - Is she being held captive and for ransom?  Where's Holmes?   Is he in the next room bound and gagged?  Is he even in the same vicinity?  How did they get separated?  Are they in the middle of an undercover assignment?

This has become one of my favorite series and King is one of my favorite authors.




3 comments:

Zibilee said...

I have the first book in this series, but haven't given it a go yet, and one of the reasons is that I am afraid I am going to get hooked, like everyone else has! Great review today. I need to get started with this series!

Laurie C said...

This is one of the few series I've managed to keep up with since the beginning. Love it! I think they have gotten less academic as the series has progressed, and Mary a little less prickly, but I guess she has matured!

Alpa said...

I like this cover :)