Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Eat Beautiful

by Megan Stevens

I have so much to learn about gluten-free & sugar-free eating.  This book is a great place to start.  At my age I'm beginning to accept the fact that I'll never be filthy rich so I can hire a daily chef who will create beautiful servings of nourishing, life-giving dishes.  It's time I look this 'face-on' and do it myself.

What I like about Eat Beautiful:
1. Megan provides easy to follow steps for doing things that are 'new-to-me', such as making carrot flour from the pulp that is left over when making carrot juice.  Also, how to use soaked beans, seeds, and nuts in recipes.  And how to cook a Kobacha squash.  I grew some several years ago and then didn't know what to do with the fruit.  I tried cutting them in half like I would an Acorn but Kobachas have very tough skin.
2. I like that there is a wide range of recipes - everything from carrot cake pancakes to cakes, cookies, pies, to beverages and breads.  I have to say that everything that was pictured looked delicious.  The waffles are the first recipes in the book: Carrot Cake Waffles and Chocolate Chia Seed Waffles,  Oh my!  Speaking of Carrot Cake, wait until you see the picture of the carrot cake.  It looks so decadent.
3. Several of the recipes contain Stevia which I've never used but these recipes will build my knowledge base as well as my confidence.  I think I'll start out with the Zucchini Bread recipe which not only uses Stevia but soaked cashews or walnuts and chia seed.
4. I like that Megan shares the name of her & her sisters cute little cafe in Eugene, Oregon.  It's called Vanilla Jill's Scoops and Soups.  I love the Northwest so I'll be stopping in on my next trip through Eugene.
5.  Megan includes a chapter entitled Feeding Kids.  Lots of good ideas there.
6. There's a chapter about foods not to eat and why.
7.  And there's a chapter describing the ingredients she includes in her recipes.

What I didn't like about Eat Beautiful:
I wanted more pictures!  The pictures that are included are scrumptious-looking, but I would like more.  I realize that would make the price of the cookbook prohibitive so maybe there's a happy medium that I need to accept.

I would highly recommend this cookbook to anyone looking for healthier recipes, anyone who loves to read cookbooks (as I do), and those who must change their cooking for health reasons.

No comments: