Pages

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

The Fairy Tale Girl

by Susan Branch

When I was offered this book to review I had to do a double take when I saw the author's name.  The Susan Branch who is an artist?  The cover looked like it could be her memoir and sure enough it is.  I don't know how many note cards, calendars, planners, and knick-knacks I own that Susan designed.  I love the whimsy of her art and it comes through in her book.

I also decided to read The Fairy Tale Girl because it is a memoir set in my time period.  Susan was born 3 years before me so I was excited to climb in to the time capsule and endulge in the nostalga.  I felt that most during the last half of the book.  Susan was the oldest of eight children; I was the oldest girl of seven children.  Instant bonding moment!  Susan kept a diary and has a great memory; I didn't and I don't so it was fun to be reminded of the things in my life so similar to her's.

I didn't relate as well with the first of the book - the part about her relationship with Cliff.  We both grew up being 'little moms' but I didn't understand what she was willing to put up.  In addition to being the oldest girl in the family, I also grew up Mormon where we are taught that our greatest contribution in life is as a wife and mother.  Like Susan, there was nothing I wanted more than to find Prince Charming, get married, and have a family.  I think Susan got confused when it came to the Prince Charming part.  There are some frogs that, no matter the number & intensity of the kisses, will never turn into a prince.  My heart broke for her.  It's doubly sad because someone I love dearly is going through the same thing.

Do I recommend The Fairy Tale Girl?  Absolutely!  There is so much to love about this book.  There are quotes and delightful artwork throughout.  Inside the front and back covers are pages from a baby book.  Very endearing.  I loved the typeset, too.  It almost passes as someone's personal writing in a diary.

***Disclosure:  I was offered this book by Jocelyn Kelley and Kelley and Hall Publishing for an honest review. 

No comments: