Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2016

The Light Between Oceans

by M.L. Stedman

Oh my gosh!  What a book!  This is book has been around for a few years but I just barely read it.  I've been rather busy with life and haven't read others' reviews as much as I use to so I didn't know very much about the story line.  In many ways that adds to the anticipation as I am reading trying to unravel what will happen.

I must live in a bubble because I didn't know The Light Between Oceans was made into a movie.  Just now as I was looking for a picture of the book for this post I discovered the movie.  Can't wait to watch it!

What I liked about this book: 

1. The slow, mesmerizing build up that is quite tantalizing.  How Tom & Isabel meet and fall in love, then move to their own little island with a lighthouse.

2.  The setting.  The island of Janus, the small community where Isabel grew up, both in Australia during the 1920's, mostly. 

3.  The idioms.  Some of them had me guessing as to their meaning.  Many I shared with my husband.  One even showed up in a movie we watched the very day I read the phrase in this book.  Serendipity I guess.  It amazes me how often that happens.  I need to share a few with you. 
"She chucked a wobbly."  Which means she threw a fit.  
"I'm hardly a full bottle on it."  Meaning, I guess, I'm not an expert on the matter.  
"You're carrying on like a two-bob watch."  ??   
"What was he thinking?  He must have had kangaroos in his top paddock."  
"No. This was the place for the child, with her true family.  She'd have the top brick off the chimney."  "People will think he's got no lead in his pencil."  The way we would say that around here is, "He was firing blanks."  
"They get a bit dark with us if the prisoners cark it before trial."

4.  The story.  It's beautiful and heart-wrenching.  Excellent.

5.  The symbolism.  I'm a bit fuzzy on how to put it into words but I'm aware that it's there.  The lighthouse that safely guides boats through the darkness, the island and the desire to be isolated from others, the two oceans that come together at Janus Point and mixing and clashing of two families lives.  There's more, I know.  This is where a book group would come in handy - sharing the meanings picked up by other readers.

6.  The telling of the story.  I think Stedman did an wonderful job of telling parts of the story about the different characters and revealing those tidbits at just the right time.

I think I've covered enough of the highlights of the book - at least the highlights from my perspective. There are more but reviews can only drag on for so long before they become tiresome.

If you one of the few who have put of reading this book, as I did, I suggest you quit the stalling and read The Light Between Oceans.  You'll be glad you did.

I checked this ebook out from my local library.

5 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

Oh yes! I loved this when I read it when it first came out. Like you, I didnt' know much about it and I agree, it completely added to the experience of the plot unfolding.
I'm pretty sure I sobbed a lot when reading this one. That's what made it such a great book if it could pull out those emotions.
Great review Cheya!

Booklogged said...

I have written 3 responses now and none of them made it thru. I must be loosing my touch. I agree with you, raidergirl3, what a powerful book to draw out such strong emotions.

Rebecca said...

This is a great book! I have kids so I was weeping it up like a mad woman. Went through a box of tissues. Haven't see the movie yet but I can't wait to see it.
Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
Follow me on Bloglovin'

Anonymous said...

I am clueless about what is going on at the theater most of the time either and didn't know that this had been made into a movie. Either way, I wouldn't have read it, since I have a copy that I am still trying to get to. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your time in the story.

Kailana said...

I enjoyed this one! I want to see the movie!