Pages

Friday, May 19, 2006

Reading Themes

Several years ago I read 3 books in succession that had the word 'bee' in the title. This was just by happenstance and not realized until years later when I kept getting the titles and their authors mixed up. The first was The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, the second was my book club's selection, Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton-Porter and the third was The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King. Looking back on it, I had an idea that it would be fun to do this on purpose. Well, today I was reading random blogs (because I don't have enough books piled up to read, I guess) and came across this same idea.

Reading Themes is a post listing several different reading themes. Here's a few of the categories: Places, Animals, Months, Pultizer and Garden. I thought the 100 x 100 and 7 books in 7 days both looked interesting. I'd have to read picture books to accomplish that last one! Anyway it's a fun site and an interesting idea. The site also lists some books that could be read in each category.

7 comments:

Framed said...

Great site. I just saved my current list of books to read on Word and there were 75!!!! 74, I just finished one. But these themes are so interesting. I really liked the colors theme. Maybe that's because I am planning on reading "Girl in Hyacinth Blue" and "The Red Tent" in the next month. But the two you wrote in sound good also.

Alyson said...

Interesting, I think I'd like the challenge of the 100X100 and the A-Z.

Framed, you also have Gathering Blue on your list.

Lotus Reads said...

I love the idea of reading themes and like you, I have done it several times without being aware of it! I like "countries" or even "cities and towns" as a reading theme. I think I could do that fairly easily. The 7 books in 7 days would be a real challenge! :) Thanks so much for giving me something to think about!

Booklogged said...

Yes, countries. I've red several books about China during Mao's leadership. Also, you could read about a certain time period. Wouldn't it be interesting to read stories that were taking place in different parts of the world during the same time period? When I read Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China I kept relating what I knew of my grandmother, mother and my own lifetimes because they parralled the women's in the book.

It just seems that however you do it, reading is a great pastime. I need to stop speding so much time playing computer games and get back to reading. The or fifteen minutes a day of reading makes it hard to even tie the storyline together, let alone make much progress in Mt. TBR.

Framed said...

There's that Mt. TBR again. Is it To Be Read? I guess I theme-read also. I just thought I got on weird tangents like Alaskan mysteries and Early American biographies. Thanks, Alyson, for pointing out Gathering Blue. I need a yellow. Right now my theme is other people's reading lists. It's a great resource.

Cardine said...

I'm stuck on young adult books. I like them, and I keep getting them as presents (not complaining), so I always have some I haven't read.

Booklogged said...

It is Mt. To Be Read, I think. I saw it on another site and thought it was cute. I just bought two new mysteries and when I was reading the covers discovered that they both have to do with murders in cemeteries.