Callista over at SMS Book Reviews is proposing an interesting Numbers Challenge - simply read 5 books in 5 months whose titles have a number in them (this includes written numbers like "one" or "forty.")
The challenge runs from Jan 1 to June 1, 2008. You can choose up to 3 novels that are on lists for other challenges, so 2 of your choices cannot be on any other list.*
My list includes some books I'm very excited to read, but I will put off reading them until January for 2 reasons: I have too many books on challenge lists that I must finish before the end of the year and I want to join this challenge so I'll be patient about reading them.
1. *Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale -- I was going to read this for the Celebrate the Author Challenge, but I have Austenland by Hale that I can read for that one.
2. A Thousand Days in Tuscany by Marlena De Blasi -- Also reading for In Their Shoes Challenge.
3. *Sixpence House by Paul Collins -- This is a book I was going to read for the Something About Me Challenge. I ended up with too many for that challenge so I'm moving it to this challenge.
4. Thursday Next: A First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde -- Also reading for the Numb3rs Challenge.
5. The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing by M.T. Anderson -- Also reading for the Books Awards Challenge. It won the National Book Award for Young People's Literature for 2006. I looked at the title of this book and wondered if it would count because Octavian obviously refers to the number 8. Is that stretching things too far? How 'bout if I focus on the word 'nothing' instead?
*Instances of the Number 3: A Novel by Salley Vickers
A Thousand Bones by PJ Parrish
*Books that are NOT on another reading challenge list.