Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Another for the Soup's On Challenge

I remember joining the Soup's On Culinary Challenge with enthusiasm, but over a few month's time I forgot all about it. Thankfully, Raidergirl3 reminded me with her post today. I've read and tried recipes from several cookbooks since the challenge began last April. Since the challenge doesn't end until March 31, I have time to share my culinary experiences. Who knows, I may successfully complete a challenge for the first time in months!

I have the public library to thank for having this book on its shelves. I want to check it out again and try some more of the many recipes I listed that looked delicious.

It's such a satisfy feeling to throw a few items in the crock-pot, enjoy the aromas all afternoon and present a delicious to the family in the evening. The recipe I tried from this cookbook is Carmelized Onion Chicken. It was fun learning the technique of carmelizing onions.

The chicken is delicious, but it is a bit dry even though there is plenty of moisture in the crock-pot. I served the chicken with Funeral Potatoes and a tossed salad.

The best thing about this recipe is the leftover chicken. I cube it and freeze it in 2-cup amounts to use later in chicken fajitas, chicken quiche or whatever. After the first time I made this chicken, I doubled the recipe so I always have several baggies in the freezer to pull out whenever I need precooked chicken. It's some of the best flavored chicken ever.

2 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

Glad I could be an inspiration. I must look for some slow cooker recipes, and check if my library has this one.
One year we tried 'slow cooker Thursday', to make an effort to look for recipes and use it once a week. We found some good ones, but it is good to be reminded again.
Have a great weekend.

Staci said...

I love my crockpot and that book looks like it might have some great recipes in it. Isn't it strange how the chicken can be swimming in juices but still be a little dry? Great idea with the leftovers!!