Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Deceptive Intentions

by M. L. Malcolm

I actually read this book about a week ago but didn't get the review written in a timely fashion.  This is the follow up to Silent Lies that I read earlier in June which has been recently released as Heart of Lies.  I don't see why they have to change the title, it only confuses us and the second title doesn't seem any better than the first.  Both fit the story perfectly, however.

Deceptive Intentions will be released sometime in the future as Heart of Deception.  I'm glad I already had access to both books (my daughter owns them) because when I finished the first I would have gone berserk if I had to wait for the second.  As it was I went straight from one to the other.

Silent Lies left me hanging and yearning to learn what would become of Leo and his daughter Maddy.  I have read reviews of Heart of Lies and people seem content to wait for the 2nd book, but I certainly was not.  I felt like they needed to be read back to back as one large story.

Loved Malcolm's writing and her splendid storytelling.  I was totally enthralled with these books and highly recommend them.  Actually, I've had a very good reading month and have totally enjoyed each book I've read.

7 comments:

M.L. Malcolm said...

Dear Katie,
Thank you for the great review! As you probably know by now, "Silent Lies" and "Deceptive Intentions" were both published by a small independent press. When I was signed by Harper Collins, the marketing folks there decided that the title,"Heart of Lies" would sell more books, and so far they've been right! Reading the reviews in the two weeks since "Heart of Lies" was released has been a very interesting and informative experience. Some people love one thing about the book (say, Martha & Leo's relationship) which turns out to be the exact thing that another reader doesn't like! I've always thought a book that engendered different reactions among readers makes for an excellent book club choice as there's more to talk about, so maybe the diversity of opinion is a good thing after all. Luckily the reviews have been more positive than negative, but I particularly enjoyed yours! I look forward to following your blog in the future. Please give my regards to your daughter, and tell her I said thanks for sharing. All the best, M.L. Malcolm

Nora said...

I really liked this review :).
It's odd how books are suddenly renamed for no reason, but oh well :)

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading this one when it's re-released. It would be nice to read them back to back, but I had no idea there even was a sequel until I read the interview with the author at the end of Heart of Lies!

Zibilee said...

I just finished Heart of Lies, and have to admit that I didn't totally love it. I thought the first half was pretty good, but when the action shifted over to America, it lost a little something for me. I am glad you liked it and that you were able to follow Leo and Maddy's story through the second book!

Booklogged said...

M.L., how nice of you to comment. I appreciate the name change now and congrats on being signed by Harper Collins. Both titles have 'Heart' in them so that helps tie them together. Hope you'll be writing more books. I will be watching for them.

Nora, thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. Much appreciated.

Anna, I'm wondering if my copy and the new one end at the same place. I felt like the first ended with a real cliff hanger.

Zibilee, thanks for your comment. It's interesting why books affect us all differently, isn't it?

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I met M L Malcolm in New York and I cant wait to read her books. This looks fantastic!

paalok said...

I was fascinated by this blog!! You are an inspiration for me! If you get time, plz go through mine::

http://ourbookshelf-bookworms.blogspot.com/