Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl

by Fanny Flagg

I actually read this one earlier in the year, but forgot to write a review until now.  I borrowed this book from my brother after he, my mom and one sister read it and recommended it.  Fannie Flagg was an author I had heard about and was on my list of to-read authors.

There was so much to love about this book and I did love it all.  The characters in the small town of Elmwood Springs, Missouri and Dena (Baby Girl) and Dr. O'Malley, a psychiatrist that falls in love with Dena.  I can't believe how patient he is with Dena.

Dena is America's most popular female newscaster/journalist in the 1970s.  The change of TV news into sensationalism causes her to question her career.  The commentaries made about the change in news was worth reading and hit the nail on the head.  I can hardly stand to watch the news anymore.  I wish they'd just tell us the facts without all the over-hyping!

When Dena falls gravely ill, she returns to her home town from busy New York City, to the doting, loving care of Aunt Elner who is the personification of small town kindness.  While in Elmwood Springs Dena begins to search for roots to her past and discovers a shocking secret.

The picture on the cover is the home of Neighbor Dorothy who hosted a daily radio broadcast from her home, hence the tower in the back.  Her story makes me wish I had lived back in the 30's or 40's so I could turn on the radio everyday and hear about the news from Elmwood Springs and hurriedly scribble down the  recipes that were shared.

I liked this book so much that I bookmooched Daisy May and the Miracle Man and Can't Wait to Get to Heaven.  I need to get my hands on Fried Green Tomatoes.

11 comments:

Kailana said...

I have only read her Christmas book so far, but I should try something else by her!

Nikki in Niagara said...

I've only read Fried Green Tomatoes but after that I vowed to read the rest of her books, but, alas, still haven't. Thanks for reminding me!

Bellezza said...

I liked this book very much, although not as much as Fried Green Tomatoes at The Whistle Stop Cafe. I am correct in remembering the sorrow of the girl who was waiting for her mother's return in this particular novel? I know it was one of Fannie Flagg's, and I know I'll never forget it, it was absolutely heart breaking to me. The radio part of this was also one of my favorite parts.

alisonwonderland said...

Nice review! I read this book years ago and really loved it. Later I listened to the audiobook and loved that too. I haven't read anything else Fannie Flagg has written, though. I think that's because I doubt I'll like anything else as well. Maybe I ought to read something and see!

Anonymous said...

I read this one this month and really liked it too. I plan on checking out more Fannie Flagg!

Zibilee said...

I read Daisy Fae and the Miracle Man and was a little disappointed. I think this one sounds much better, and of course, Fired Green Tomatoes is just excellent. I am so glad you enjoyed this one! Excellent review!

Andi said...

I've always put Fannie Flagg into a category of readers that I just won't like. Period. Then I think, "Well, Andi, that's pretty stupid because you liked Fried Green Tomatoes (movie) and the book is usually better than the movie." I need to jump over my preconceived notions and just try it!

Les said...

I loved Fried Green Tomatoes (one of the rare cases when the book AND movie were both great!), Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, and Standing in the Rainbow. I didn't care for A Redbird Christmas, though. I thought it was too sappy and sentimental. I have Welcome to the World, Baby Girl somewhere in my stacks and really should make time to read it!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I enjoyed this one a while back too.... Fried Green Tomatoes was so good I had to read more by this author :)

Anonymous said...

I just read this one last month last month and really liked it. It won't be my last Fannie Flagg!

mommo4.5 said...

If you haven't by now, you must read Standing in the Rainbow. Neighbor Dorothy and her family are some of the main characters in this wonderful story which I read several years ago and continue to keep on my mental list of best books ever read. I just recently read Welcome to the World Baby Girl and loved it also. I can often guess what's coming in a story, but I sure hadn't figured this one out. People can be so cruel.