Pages

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Jane McGonigal - Playing Games

I posted a TED video on my other blog, In Season, that I hope you'll watch.  McGonigal talks about game-playing and makes some great points in favor of electronic games.  I think what she says can be applied to regular-type games, too.

She also invented a reality game called SuperBetter.  And "there's an ap for that!"  And it's FREE.  She talks about this game in the video .  I've downloaded it to my iPad and love the feeling of improving myself in manageable increments each day.  Each day there are new "quests" to do and you can choose between two.  One of the first day's  "quests" was to shake hands with someone for 6 secs.  So Candleman and I shook hands and commented on what a 6-second kiss could do for us.

Hope you'll check it out.  The video takes 20 minutes but it's 20 minutes you will be happy you spent.  I was dragging my feet when my husband asked me to watch it.  I screamed and yelled and kicked, "I don't have 20 minutes!"  I felt so good by the time the video was over.  I spent another 20 minutes ordering her book and finding the game.  Trust me - it's time well spent.  Would love to hear your reactions and thoughts . . .

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement.  I'm receiving no payment for this - I'm just enthused about it and want to share it.  If you end up buying a copy of McGonigal's book by following my link, I will receive a few pennies from amazon, but not enough to make it worth the time it took to write this post.

2 comments:

Zibilee said...

I will have to check this out. I have heard that 3 to 6 second hugs with your spouse daily will improve your marriage, so I do believe in this kind of thing. Great post today...off to check it out.

Jill said...

It's interesting that you wrote about this - I was just reading an article this morning about gamifying at libraries that mentions this author. Funny how things can all come together from separate places. I will definitely check out that app!