Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bookword Game

I always marvel at the innovative ideas people have. This one impresses me a lot and I think it is going to be so fun to see what's up each new week.

Raidergirl3 of An Adventure in Reading and Suey from All About Books came up with this great game. From Raidergirl3's post we learn more:

Game objective: "We will, as a book loving community, come up with some phrases to describe books or book-related situations."
"The situation: what can we call a book that you read after hearing other people rave about it, they love it and want to name their children after, but you don't get it. They loved this? You don't love the book but everyone else does. What is the new bookword for this?"

Each week there will be a new situation. Readers suggest a 'new' word to describe the situation. It reminds my of when Nancy coined the word 'chunkster' for a really thick book.

Words for this week's situation (described above) are listed on Suey's blog. You can go there and VOTE for the word you think best fits the situation. On Monday the winner will be announced and a new reading situation will be posted.

I totally love this idea. Just moments ago I voted for my choice. I was impressed with the suggestions made, but there were two that really fit the situation the best, but I had to wheedle my decision to just one. I won't tell you how I voted so you're not swayed. Hope you'll stop by and vote. It won't be surprising to someday see one of the words in the bookword game end up in the dictionary.

6 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

It won't be surprising to someday see one of the words in the bookword game end up in the dictionary.

that just blew my mind!

I'm glad you are enjoying the game, and I look forward to one ofyour suggestions. thanks for promoting the game.

Becca said...

If you like games, I just started a new game myself, called The Quote Game. Every week there is a new topic and you find and share quotes from books that fit the topic. I'd love to hear what you think! http://imlostinbooks.blogspot.com/2009/02/introducing-quote-game-come-play.html

Staci said...

It's like our own little version of "Frindle"!!!

Booklogged said...

Raidergirl3, happy to promote the game. It's easy to get excited about something that's going to be so fun. I hope I can come up with a clever term for one of the future situations.

Rebecca, thanks for the heads up concerning your game. I look forward to gathering some great quotes.

Staci, tell me more about Frindle. Is it something like the dictionary game?

Zibilee said...

Thanks for sharing this! I am not very good at these types of games, but I love seeing the answers provided by others.

Anonymous said...

Those are quite clever! My favorite is recommenDUD