Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Brutal Telling

by Louise Penny

I wish I could describe my thoughts and feelings about Louise Penny's books.  Everything I come up with sounds so superlative - over the top and unbelievable, but that is really how I feel.  Those of you who have read them know what I'm talking about and those who haven't read them are greatly missing out.

Penny's  writing transports us to the village of Three Pines just south of Montreal and to the wonderful, kooky, flawed, generous characters who live there.  I feel like I could almost dissolve into the book and be there myself, surrounded by good friends.  Of course, I'd be hoping for a murder so Inspector Gamache would have to join the group. 
"He smiled and not for the first time she thought the rarest thing she'd ever found was Chief Inspector Gamache."

The Brutal Telling is the 5th in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.  It's a series that starts out strong and just gets better with each book.   In this one a murdered body is found in Olivier's bistro - a body that no one in the village can identify!  Gamache and his team are called to to strip back layers of lies and catch an unlikely killer.

There are many facets of meaning to every one of Penny's books.  The plot itself is immensely spellbinding as is Penny's ability to grasp the intricacies of human nature.  I love the way she will use a motif several times throughout her books and apply it to different circumstances or turn it in a new light to add greater meaning and depth.  I've often thought that if these books were not mysteries she would have a greater audience and be among the best selling fiction authors.  Many who shrug off mysteries as unfit literary fare would be surprised and pleased with the graceful, eloquent writing.

I'm anxiously looking forward to the next in the series which will be out the end of Sep.  I may have to fight my husband for it because he loves the books as much as I do.  And then there's my mother - but I think we can grab and run with it faster than she can!

A few of my favorite passages.  I like to reread the passages I've book darted and when I do the story comes back to life for me.  I'm only going to add two of the many that I marked.  You are welcome to read these, if you'd like, but I include them mostly for my benefit.
What a tale those eyes told Gamache.  In them he saw the infant, the boy, the young man, afraid.  Never certain what he would find in his father.  Would he be loving and kind and warm today?  Or would he sizzle the skin off his son?  With a look, a word.  Leaving the boy naked and ashamed.  Knowing himself to be weak and needy, stupid and selfish.  So that the boy grew an outer hull to withstand the assault.  But while those skins saved tender young souls, Gamache knew, they soon stopped protecting and became the problem.  Because while the hard outer shell kept the hurt at bay, it also kept out the light.  And inside the frightened little soul became something else entirely, nurtured only in darkness.
He was like Pinocchio.  A man made of wood, mimicking humanity.  Shiny and smiling and fake.  And if you cut into him you'd see rings.  Circles of deceit and scheming and justification.

14 comments:

Framed said...

Very eloquent. You described it perfectly. Loved the quotes and loved the book.

Zibilee said...

I admit to being a reader that doesn't usually like mysteries, but your enthusiasm for this series really gets my attention. I am going to check these out. They sound wonderful! Great review!

Tracy(bookroomreviews) said...

I normally don't like mysteries but your review made it sound like I could:) I also wanted to tell you thank you for your thoughtful comment on my iPad/Autism post. It made my day! You are so sweet.

You know, I kind of thought they would let me keep it because of Nolan, but she told me I have to send it back. I can understand it some, because they would have to let every reviewer do that too, and that would be a huge cost:)

Anonymous said...

So good to see your post about Louise Penny! I love her books. I just loaned one to a good friend who doesn't read many mysteries but wanted something to keep her interested on her (seemingly) endless flight from Seattle to Germany to see her son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters, one a brand new baby. I'm sure she won't be disappointed by the book -- I wasn't!
Thanks for a fascinating post.
Canadian Chickadee

Anonymous said...

So good to see your post about Louise Penny! I love her books. I just loaned one to a good friend who doesn't read many mysteries but wanted something to keep her interested on her (seemingly) endless flight from Seattle to Germany to see her son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters, one a brand new baby. I'm sure she won't be disappointed by the book -- I wasn't!
Thanks for a fascinating post.
Canadian Chickadee

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask -- does the title of the book have any connection with Canadian artist & writer Emily Carr's coining fo the statement "the brutal telling" which supposedly referred to her being raped by her father? (All supposition, I might add, as she never confirmed or denied it, and he died long before anyone else could ask him. So I suppose we'll never know for sure.) Or am I spoiling the plot by asking?
Canadian Chickadee

Thoughts of Joy said...

I thought this one was good, but it was my least favorite. I just began the latest, Bury Your Dead and have already been drawn into the story. :)

Booklogged said...

Framed, Thanks. I almost always have a hard time writing reviews, but when I love a book it's even harder.

Zibilee, I think you'd really enjoy these.

Tracy, You're more than welcome. I highly recommend Penny's mysteries - they are several levels above most mysteries.

Josh, I'm going to get over to visit your site soon.

Anonymous, there is a connection to Emily Carr's disclosure about her father but it's only a small portion of the book. I have got my mother, sisters, daughter and husband hooked on Penny's books.

Joy, Which one was your favorite? I just started Bury Your Dead, too. Let my mom read it first. It does draw you right in, doesn't it?

Susan said...

I love this series! I've gotten my mother hooked, and am working on some friends now. I'm about to read The Murder Stone (book 4), and just picked up A Brutal Telling, which looks very good. I like your review of this one, and the quotes.

Thoughts of Joy said...

In answer to your question - I liked A Rule Against Murder and The Cruelest Month best. They tied at a 4.25/5 (better than very good).

Marce said...

I found you from the Thriller and Suspense Challenge. I'm a new follower, i'm always looking for bloggers that enjoy this genre.

I have this one on my Wishlist. I didn't realise it was part of a series.

Utah Mom said...

Oh great. More books to add to be to-read list. :) I love your reviews.

roxanestoner said...

Bury Your Dead is coming out on Sept 15th in Canada. You might want to order it through Amazon canada to get it faster... Great review by the way. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

ok I loved this book but can anyone tell me what the idea behind "Woo" or "Woe" was?? If the letters in the web and on the wood did not say "Woe" then why 'Woo"? What is "Woo"?? Did I miss something? Thanks!