Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Unseen

by Karen Slaughter

Why haven't I been introduced to this author before?  If Unseen is a good indication of her work, and I have every reason to believe it is, I should have been reading every book she's ever written.

This is my kind of mystery.  There's a main plot but then there are several subplots going on that are equally intense.  The characters are real, 3-dimensional, flawed yet likable, and strong-willed.  

Here's the write-up from Karen Slaughter's webpage:
Karin Slaughter’s New York Times bestselling novels featuring detective Will Trent are utterly riveting and masterfully drawn. Her latest thriller, Unseen, pits detectives, lovers, and enemies against one another in an unforgettable standoff between righteous courage and deepest evil.Will Trent is a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent whose latest case has him posing as Bill Black, a scary ex-con who rides a motorcycle around Macon, Georgia, and trails an air of violence wherever he goes. The cover has worked and he has caught the eye of a wiry little drug dealer who thinks he might be a useful ally. But undercover and cut off from the support of the woman he loves, Sara Linton, Will finds his demons catching up with him.Although she has no idea where Will has gone, or why, Sara herself has come to Macon because of a cop shooting: Her stepson, Jared, has been gunned down in his own home. Sara holds Lena, Jared’s wife, responsible: Lena, a detective, has been a magnet for trouble all her life, and Jared’s shooting is not the first time someone Sara loved got caught in the crossfire. Furious, Sara finds herself involved in the same case that Will is working without even knowing it, and soon danger is swirling around both of them.In a novel of fierce intensity, shifting allegiances, and shocking twists, two investigations collide with a conspiracy straddling both sides of the law. Karin Slaughter’s latest is both an electrifying thriller and a piercing study of human nature: what happens when good people face the unseen evils in their lives.
For my reference, and anyone else's who wants to read these mysteries from the first, here's a list of Slaughter's books that feature Will Trent:
1. Triptych*
2.  Fractured
3.  Undone*
4.  Broken*
5.  Fallen
6.  Snatched
7. Criminal
8.  Busted
9.  Unseen

I just checked my book shelves and I already own the 3 title with an asterisk by them.  I must have read a review in the past that piqued my interest enough to order her books.  Why didn't I get around to reading them sooner?   My only defense is 'too many books, too little time.'  Now that I know I love her work, these books will get read!




3 comments:

Thoughts of Joy said...

I completely understand the "too many books, too little time" comment. The good news is that you now know how fabulous she is! :) I believe I'm on #4 in both series and enjoy them both.

Susan said...

I've been hearing lots about this author recently. Cath at Read-Warbler has just been starting the series. I have Undone on my shelf to read, and just picked up Criminal, which is supposed to be very good. I'm glad to hear that Unseen is just as good (better?) than the earlier ones - it's good to know this series stays good. I will get to it!

Les said...

I've never read anything by Karin Slaughter, but I think I have a few on my shelves somewhere. My sister-in-law has raved about her for years. Guess I should give the first a try, eh? Thanks for the list. Off to see if I own Triptych.