Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Book of a Thousand Days

by Shannon Hale

I loved this book! The story, based on a Grimm's fairytale, is told by Dashti in the form of her diary.

"The men are bricking up the door. Isn't it something, all the trouble they're going to for us? I fell like a jewel in a treasure box."

"This isn't exactly a happy-celebration morning, but I don't see what good it does to thrash about."

"They weren't nice words he said. He could've lived a good life and died never having made a person feel rubbed down to bones and too sad to hold together."

"I'm a stubborn mare sometimes and must dangle my own carrot."

"When I'm moving on a journey, the ending is still unknown and possibly wonderful. But once I arrive, it's hard to keep imagining."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished Hale's Austenland (which I loved) and now have The Goose Girl on my TBR shelf. I'll probably wait until this one comes out in paperback and pick it up then.

Tricia said...

I just got this at the library and it is sitting on my bedside table. I can't wait!!

Anonymous said...

I love fairy tale retellings so I will look out for this one thanks for the recommendation!

Jeane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joy said...

I have this on my YA list and thanks to your introduction, I'm looking forward to this addition of Hale!

Terri B. said...

I absolutely love Shannon Hale's YA novels. I recently finished Book of a Thousand Days and can't wait until her next book! I see you have some Terry Pratchett's listed on your sidebar. Another GREAT author. I've read his first two YA novels and have Wintersmith waiting for me. Recently read his first DiscWorld and can't wait to get to Light Fantastic. Good reading!

Anonymous said...

Having read Austenland by Shannon Hale, this book was my first introduction into Hale's YA books. I really enjoyed it and was cheering for Dashti throughout the book.

Jill said...

I have this one checked out of the library right now, and I'm hoping to get to it soon. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've read several of her books and really liked them, so I'm excited about this one. :-)