Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Magyk

by Angie Sage

I'm a bit older than the target audience, grades 4-8, even so this book held my attention and fueled my imagination. I thought it was pure magyk!

The book starts out with Silas Heap who stumbles across a baby in the the field or forest, I forget which, but the baby is abandoned. He's concerned about what to do because he and Sarah already have six boys and Sarah is giving birth that night to their seven child. Seeing no other choice, Silas takes the baby home, hopping Sarah will take it in.

And that's all I'm going to share. Oh, maybe one thing more - Just as Silas enters his house the midwife pushes past him with a small bundle, yelling, "Dead, dead."

I was totally drawn into the story within the first few pages. Dare I say that I liked this book even better than Harry Potter. I heard the gasp escape your lips! Actually, they are both fascinating stories. This one is probably better for younger readers, though. I enjoy Juvenile and YA novels, but I'm always amazed when I find one as captivating as Magik.

12 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

Thanks for not giving much away, and I'll look for this for my little ones. Sounds great.

Anonymous said...

I had a coworker who just raved about this book and the two sequels. I do intend to read it as I trust her judgment and now yours as well. I'll look forward to it!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am tagging you for a blog game a friend tagged me with.
Here's the link to what I came up with as well as a picture of my philosophy: http://j-kaye-book-blog.blogspot.com/2008/02/6-word-memior-meme.html

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to put these on my list. A couple people have recommended this series, but could they really be better than Harry Potter?

Melissa said...

This is one of my oldest daughter's favorite series. She raves about it, re-reads it, and yes, probably loves it as much (if not more than) Harry Potter. I've not been interested in reading it (I don't know why), but your post is enough of a nudge to go in her room and read them. As soon as I get a spare moment. :)

Anonymous said...

It's always a joy to find a truly fun book. That cover alone is perfect though!

Happy Blogiversary!

DesLily said...

I've read the 3 that are out and they are all good! Book 4 is due out in April!!!

Jeane said...

Even though I've begun to loose interest in books targeted at younger audiences, you make this one sound so intriguing I think I'm going to have to try it!

tanabata said...

I remember seeing this when it first came out but then I promptly forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me, it does sound fun.

Paula said...

This really sounds good ~ and the fact that you liked it better than Harry says something! I keep a list right beside my computer for "want to reads" and I just added this one to the list.

alisonwonderland said...

with that review, i've definitely got to add this one to my to-read list!

Julie Goucher said...

This is a great series of books. I noticed yesterday in Smiths that a fourth book in the series is available - Queste.