Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Pea Blossom

retold by Amy Lowry Poole
This is a children's book based on an Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale. Poole takes the story of five peas in a pod and sets in China where she lived for several years.

The peas in the pod share with each other what they want to do when the pod pops opens and releases them. One wants to fly to the sun, another to the moon, two want to dine with the emperor. The littlest pea wanted to go wherever it is that he was meant to go.

The littlest pea ends up on a windowsill with some mold and dry leaf rot. This is where he spends the winter. (I'd be thinking -So this is what was meant to be with my life?! Actually, that thought sounds resounds in my heart at times.)

Of course, that is not the end. As you can guess the end is lovely and the pea did have a purpose. You'll need to check this out from your library or you can read the Hans Christian Anderson's version here. The ending is similar.

3 comments:

Lover of Books said...

That sounds like a lovely story. I'll have to check it out. :)

Lotus Reads said...

Ooooh, this sounds lovely, booklogged! Some days I have a hankering for fairy tales like these...I will definitely make a note of the title. THank you muchly for posting on it!

Anonymous said...

This is going into my LCIO (Library Check it Out)pile. Thanks for another great review!