Pages

Monday, June 11, 2007

"Something About Me" Challenge

Lisa from Breaking the Fourth Wall came up with this interesting challenge, which will start on August 1st, 2007. To join, you will choose up to 5 books that represent you in some way...if you are a stay at home mom, maybe the main character does that, too. If you are a scientist, maybe the main character is one. Or maybe you live in New York City and it's such a part of who you are that you choose a book set in the city. In any case, you will choose some books that would help us get to know you.

Then, on or by August 1st, you will choose a personal list of the books you want to read from everyone's lists of books. You could choose because the book sounds like a good choice for you, or because you want to get to know another blogger a little better.

Here are the five books I chose to tell something about me.

1. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

I really like Lois Lowry, both as a person and an author. The other reason I chose this book is because my ancestors are from Denmark, which is the setting for this story.








2. The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread by Kate diCamillo

Sometimes I feel the size of a mouse trying to conquer problems that are so much bigger than me. My tools seem silly and inefficient, sort of like Despereaux's needle and thread. And sometimes my goals are not realistic in the same way that Despereaux had his heart set on marrying the princess.




3. From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz

Dean Koontz is my "chocolate" author. His books are like comfort food. When I pick up one of his books I feel like I'm "home". I know I'm going to being entertained and fully immersed.

This is one of my favorite of Koontz. He has a way of describing and defining good and evil. And I agree with his concepts in those regards. He helps us realize that we could be heading down one or the other path with the seemingly inconsequential decisions we make everyday.

4. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

I have similar religious beliefs with those expressed by C.S. Lewis in The Screwtape Letters and The Chronicles of Narnia. I think this little book instructs us in the methods used by the devil to gain our souls through the exchange of letters from Screwtape and his Uncle Wormwood. Screwtape is apprenticing and Wormwood is instructing.

This book reminds me that there's a battle going on between good and evil. I need to be mindful of the voices and promptings to which I listen.

5. Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan

Mostly, I like the title on this book, although I did enjoy reading Corrigan's thoughts concerning some of the books she's read.

Sometimes in the evening I will pop up a bowl of popcorn and sit down to read. Everyone in the family knows that is not the time to disturb me - I'm reading.



NOW for the second part of the challenge. These are the books from other challenger's list that I have chosen to read.

1. Booked to Die by John Dunning (Book One in the Cliff Janeway mystery series)

Yes, it's a mystery. Whopee! This is one from Bonnie's list. It's one of the first books I ever bookmooched and I still haven't read it.













2. All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

This is from Alisonwonderland's list. Since my husband and I only have girls, I thought this would be a fun book. He's fond of saying, "Some people have to take what they get. We specialize!"






3. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

This or one of the sequels is on several people's lists, including Tiny Librarian's, Raidergirl3's and Becky's. We are going to be visiting Prince Edward Island this summer. One of the highlights will be seeing Anne of Green Gables: The Musical. Don't you think I better read the book before seeing the musical?



4. Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland

I love Susan Vreeland's work, so when I saw this on 3M's list I got very excited. I didn't know Vreeland had a new book out.








5. The Seven Daughter's of Eve by Bryan Sykes

Since I was a biology teacher in my former life - the life before I semi-retired and only teach one study skills class, I was interested in this book suggested by Christina. This is a nonfiction book about mitochondrial DNA and how it allows scientists to map back 7 generations of females.

16 comments:

Alyson said...

Sounds like a fun challenge. I think you mention it previously and I checked it out. I was really tempted to do this challenge, but opted not to because of time constraints (or at least I hope I find a job and have time constraints).

Kailana said...

oh, oh, provided the website for Anne of Green Gables is up-to-date, I went to university with the girl that is playing Anne in the play you are seeing. Considering I never heard her talk about being in it, I imagine it is a new thing. I will be interested to hear all about it! She was just an acquaintance because she is a couple years behind and in a different major, but I want to go see it just because I sort of know her. :) Totally rambling, but in any case, great list of books! I think all this challenge is doing is adding to my tbr pile, maybe I will have to join last minute and return the favour to everyone!

Lesley said...

Oh my gosh, you've never read Anne of Green Gables?! Are you in for a treat! I love love love Anne - I still have the entire series from when I was a kid and Anne definitely holds a special place in my heart.

Sounds like a very interesting and fun challenge - good luck!

Cardine said...

I am totally reading "Number the Stars" right now. Sweet!

Joy said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks.

jenclair said...

Another Anne fan, here! The Anne books are comfort reads for me.

I started reading John Dunning's series when the first one was published and continue to gobble up each new offering. Seems like the first one is more "film noir" than the rest, but it has been a long time since I read it. I always learn something about books from this series.

While I remember loving All-of-a-Kind Family when I was young, I really don't remember much. Maybe it is time I re-visit this one.

Stephanie said...

This is going to be a fun challenge! I'm still waiting to see all the books chosen before I make my final decision!

I'm going to read The Tale of Despereaux for the Newberry Challenge. And yes, I'm another person who has NOT read Anne of Green Gables!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the Seven Daughter of Eve. Booked to Die is great! Possibly because of the book angle.

I'll have to check out more of Lois Lowry, I've only read one of her books but did like it.

Booklogged said...

Alyson, you are probably wise not to join this one with all that will be on your platter. Did you get a hold of Austenland? I need to include that in a challenge so I will be able to get to it.

Kailana, I'll try to tackle "Anne" after the play and ask if she knows you. Maybe you better send your real name. I'm so excited to see the musical.

Lesley, I know - shame on me. I have watched the movie and loved it, so I'm sure I'm going to love the book.

Booklogged said...

Cardine, Loved Number the Stars. Have you read her 'grouping' - Giver, Gathering Blue and Messenger? They are not really a series, but all go together. Daughter and I really enjoyed those, too.

Joy, thank-you. What a sweet thing to say.

Jenclair, Sometimes I hardly know which book to pick up next, because there are so many 'calling' to me. Booked to Die is one of those. Thanks for the encouragement.


Stephanie, yay! Someone to share the shame of not reading Anne yet. You're probably smart to wait on your list. I have a tendency to change my lists around. I'll be anxious to see what you decide.

Framed said...

I'm an Anne-o-phile myself. I think the books are much better than the movies. This looks like a great challenge, but I was stumped to think of five books that represent me. All that thinking made my head hurt so I'm going to go read a book to soothe it. Maybe I will be hit with inspiration in the next day or so.

twiga92 said...

Actually I'm twiga and it was Lisa who's hosting this challenge. But the link goes to the right blog - so many choices. Now you have me intrigued about Booked to Die by Dunning. I've added that to my booksfree list.

Tristi Pinkston said...

You're going to Prince Edward Island? That's my absolute dream vacation. Yes, I'm a raging Anne Fan.

Lotus Reads said...

hi, booklogged!

I really,really like this challenge and what it sets out to do, also, I am most taken with the books you selected and your explanation as to why you picked them and how they relate to you...I so enjoyed reading all that you had to say and I look forward to the more detailed review.

I also like that you in turn will read books from other participants' lists. What a truly great idea for a challenge, I am going to mull over this and see if I can join in.

Lotus Reads said...

Forgot to ask...how long does this challenge run for?

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of this challenge - so much so that I'm going to head over and sign up!

The only one of your books I've read is The Screwtape Letters. Lovely book, although it doesn't have as much real estate in my heart as his Narnia books.