Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Carpet People

by Terry Pratchett

The appeal to me was first, the book was written by Terry Pratchett; second, it was first published when Pratchett was 17-years-old, and third, it was revised by Pratchett, age 43, when the book was re-released.

Pratchett said in 1992 when the book was republished, "I wrote that in the days when I thought fantasy was all about battles and kings. Now I'm inclined to think that the real concerns of fantasy ought to be about not having battles, and doing without kings." That was my final summarizing thought when I finished the book - This book is about battles.

Pratchett's humor is evident and the story was okay, it just wasn't one of my favorite. I can see how it may be interesting for someone in Jr. High.

5 comments:

Bookfool said...

Battles, eh? Well, I think I'd still like to read it, junior high effect and all, just for grins. I've only managed to read a couple of Pratchett books, so far.

Anonymous said...

I will get around to reading this at some point but am not in a rush. I have a few others to get through first...

Framed said...

I have a couple of his books on the shelves but who knows when I will get to them. Did you want to mooch "Beauty"? I listed it as reserved but someone has requested it anyway. If you want it, I will reject them. Let me know.

Bookfool said...

Not sure if you're talking to me or Rhinoa, but please don't hold the book on my account. I'm no longer a moocher. I unmooched myself. I need to find a way to stick mooch in a few more sentences. I had no idea what a fun word it is. Hahaha.

rohit said...

Must be an enjoyable read The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal, this book is going in by "to read" list.