Pages

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Silver Chair

by C.S. Lewis

Eustace returns to Narnia with a new friend, Jill Pole. Aslan tells them that King Caspian's son is alive and they must find him and return him to Narnia. The children are aided by a rather pessimistic marsh-wiggle named Puddleglum. I delevloped a liking for this Eeyore-like character because, even though he was a wet blanket, he was brave and courageous.

I was tickled when Jill's nurse called her a poppet. The only other time I had heard the word, poppet, it was in reference to Lisa Snellings cute little artwork. I stole this picture from Bookfool's blog to show you what they look like in case you've never seen them.

It seems the word poppet comes from the old English meaning a small child or doll. Who knew? Some look on poppets as lucky charms.

4 comments:

Myke Weber said...

I'd say Megs could be a Poppet. ;)

Cardine said...

They also use the term "poppet" on "Pirates of the Caribbean."

Paula said...

Isn't this just one of the best children's book series? I love it ~ read them all to my son when he was just a "poppet".

Shelley said...

This and Prince Caspian are my favorites of the series. They all hold such a special place in my heart from when I read them as a "poppet!"