Pages

Monday, January 08, 2007

The Ninth Life of Louis Drax

by Liz Jensen
Rating 4/5
This is another weird book, but I still liked it a lot. The main character is a 9-year-old boy named Louis Drax. Every year something violent seems to happen to him. One year it was cot death, another salmonella poisoning. On the day of his ninth birthday, at a picnic with his parents in the mountain, Louis falls off a cliff and winds up in a coma.

The story is told from several different perspectives: Louis's, the father's, the mother's, the doctors'. This is a book that I wouldn't rave about, but I think it was definitely an above average read.

3 comments:

bookish lore said...

I've been meaning to read this book ever since I listened to an abridged version broadcasted by the BBC some years ago. I thought it was very interesting, though a little disturbing.

Anonymous said...

I've been tempted to check this out from the library several times but don't know why I haven't. Glad to hear you liked it and maybe next time I'll find it, I'll check it out.

Lotus Reads said...

Wow, it does sound like a very interesting story, booklogged! My curiosity is piqued, definitely. I'm glad you liked the book, I might pick it up. Thanks for the review.