Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

by Kim Edwards
Rating 4.25/5
I really enjoyed this book even though it was a bit unbelieavable and some of the characters were hard to care about. I mean, what father is going to give up one twin at birth because she has Down's syndrome? But since the whole book revolves around that one incident, you have to allow that it happened and read on. The author presented a number of plausible reasons why the father did that, and who knows, in that day and age, under conditions of stress and fatigue, with memories of the past and out of love and concern for his wife, and with the means available a father may have made that type of split second decision.
The impact David's decision had on his life, his marriage, his son (the other twin) and on the nurse who raised the twin with Down's syndrome was great. The book introduces us to a young couple (David and Norah), very much in love and expecting their first baby, and follows them through their lives to several years after the David's death. Some chapters focus on David, Norah and their son, Paul and others focus on the nurse, Caroline, and Phoebe, the twin who was given up.
It's heartbreaking to read about relationships that could possibly mend if those involved would just communicate with each other. In this story the secrets created such thick barriers that relationships and lives were greatly diminished. Each person interpreted the meaning for the barriers differently and each thought he was to blame. The message to me: people can deal with the truth, it's the lies and secrets that confuse, misdirect, and haunt us.

14 comments:

Alyson said...

Sounds like this book had a good message. The truth is much better than secrets; even if those secrets may hurt someone you care about.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Great review :) I've had this book on my to-read list for a while, probably at least 6-8 months. I'm definitely going to have to get to it in 07 after reading this!

Cassie said...

I saw this book on your table and picked it up to see what it was about. Sounded interesting but I wanted to wait and see what you had to say about it. I think I might add it to my TBR list now that I'm starting one. I'm gleaning from your list and mom's mostly.

Lotus Reads said...

booklogged, you said:

The message to me: people can deal with the truth, it's the lies and secrets that confuse, misdirect, and haunt us.

Don't you love it when you come away from a book feeling like you've learned something about the human nature? Loved your review, I so hope I can make time for this book soon.

jenclair said...

You make it sound so interesing. I've considered it, but not seriously enough to do anything about it. Right now, I have a huge stack to get through, but will definitely keep this one in mind.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Nice review. Sounds like a powerful book.

Les said...

I've heard mixed reviews for this book and am glad to see you liked it. It's on my TBR list and I'll probably get to it sometime within the year. Great review.

ML said...

Great review. I read this book a couple months ago and completely I feel the same way about the story as you do!

Kailana said...

Okay, I don't get it. I read this book and I did not give it such a high rating. This is totally an acquired taste sort of read, because I hated it. I just felt like sharing. :)

Lover of Books said...

I really liked this book. It was really hard to get through but I enjoyed it!

nessie said...

Actually it is not as uncommon to give up a child that has mental disabilities. A close friend of mine realized a few months after her birth, that his daughter was autistic.

The doctor who diagnosed her warned the family that if they kept her it would ruin their lives and definitely their marriage. He said to just put her in an institution.

I myself have a sibling that has mental disabilities and my mother had a divorce soon after this discovery. My siblings father refuses to have anything to do with him for that reason. I am proud to say that he has recently won the provincials in figure skating and is in the top 3 for the nationals. If its a win, its off to the Olympics! Its funny how scared people get about this fact - difference creates anxiety in many.

Eva said...

I liked your review a lot more than I actually liked the book! For me, I just couldn't get past the bad writing-all of those similes and metaphors. To each their own, however.

Christina said...

I've wanted to read this one for awhile, but it gets such mixed reviews. I'm glad I read yours because I am not so sure I would like this one.

ruth said...

I read this book recently. I have not done reaing it yet. Your review is good. I like this book b/c I saw many humanities in it and fit some people who are around me. I do think that we need to face the problems, suffering or stress in our lives. If we escape from those kinds of situations, we might walk on a wrong way or miss some important parts in our lives. Fourthermore, some of secrets could ruin your life finally. Btw, I read in Chinese version, I might read English version one day.