Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2015

G. K. Chesterton Quotes

Edited by Bob Blaisdell

Seven years ago I read The Inconvenient Adventures of Uncle Chestnut by Paul Nowak and loved it, so when I saw this book on Net Galley I requested it.

This is the perfect ebook for my phone.  A few minutes waiting in line anywhere and I can read a few quotes.  With Chesterton there's always something that either resonates or is fodder for contemplation.

As I read this book I highlighted many quotes that I thought were worth rereading in the future.  Unfortunately, the book got erased from my Kindle, along with all the quotes.  They are now floating around the "ether"-net.  (An argument in favor of tangible books.)  I do have a few quotes that I found by skimming through the book after I uploaded it a second time.

One of my favorites:  "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.  An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

The paradox of childhood:  "Exactly what Shaw does not understand is the paradox; the unavoidable paradox of childhood.  Although this child is much better than I, yet I must teach it.  Although this being has much purer passions that I, yet I must control it.  Although Tommy is quite right to rush towards a precipice, yet he must be stood in the corner for doing it."


"Selfishness is a permanent and natural danger which arises from the existence of a self."

I have enjoyed reading this book as it provides a glimpse into the mind of Chesterton. I find him to be an interesting person and I agree with many of his ideas.

* I received a copy of G.K. Chesterton Quotes  from NetGalley in exchange for my review.  No other compensation was received.

1 comment:

Gk chesterton quotes said...

Supper gk chesterton quotes compilation. I have compiled some from you. Thanks!!