Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Thirteen Ways of Looking

by Colum McCann

Both the cover and titled caught my attention on this book. Thirteen Ways of Looking is a collection of short stories.  This is one of those books that I have a hard time reviewing.  I loved it but I don't want to give anything away.

The writing was beautiful, but it took me a while to get into the rhythm of the book.  At times the voice was an old man loosing his mind and at other, even within the same paragraph, was the voice of a narrator.  I didn't notice that as I got further into the book.  Maybe the editing got better or I got used to the style.

Other than that complaint, the writing was beautiful and descriptive. The reason I don't know what to write is because I suspect there was symbolism that I missed or didn't understand.  This is a book I want to read again and study the poem about crows so I can understand their connection.   

No comments: