Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lady Killer

by Lisa Scottoline

I have a few authors that I watch for their new books - Lisa Scottoline is one of those. She writes great mystery/suspense novels usually featuring female lawyers and set in Philadelphia.

In Feb I read an excellent review of Lady Killer on Kay's blog, My Random Acts of Reading. She had received it as an ARC and I expressed my jealousy. Kay kindly sent word that she would be happy to send me her ARC. WOW! Isn't she nice? It arrived at my house just days before our trip to Arizona, so I took it along. I only got 50 pages read, but that was a good start. The night we got home I was ready to curl up and read but I couldn't find the book anywhere. I searched high and low, finally calling my sister in Cedar City. Sure enough, I left it at her house just a mere 7 hrs away! There's nothing like being all set to curl up with a good mystery that's just getting really good and not be able to. I was deflated. Next day I went to the library. They had a copy but it was still in processing. So I had to wait, and wait, and wait. Finally, it was available on Monday. It was worth the wait.

Lady Killer features Mary DeNunzio of the all-female law firm of Rosato & Associates. Mary is contacted by a group of girls that she referred to in high school as the "mean team." One of the girls is dating a mob member who she believes will soon kill her. When Trish turns up missing, Mary goes in search of answers. Mary has to face demons from her past as well as problems at work as she tries to uncover what has happened to Trish.

8 comments:

Les said...

I've only read one of her books (Killer Smile). Need to give the others a try! This one sounds good. Glad you were able to finally finish. Yes, Kay is a real sweetheart. I've known her for over 10 years. She's a true friend.

Anonymous said...

This is one author whose books I'll buy sight-unseen. I have read them all and loved them. Of course, being from Philadelphia originally makes them all the more interesting to me.

This one was great

Iliana said...

I have got to read one of her books. I got the chance to see her at a book event several years ago and she was so funny. Glad you finally got your book and it was a good read :)

Framed said...

I've read one and have one languishing on the shelf. But if you need a new home for your copy . . . . . .

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to finish the book! LOL Leaving it at your sister's sounds like something I would do. I was so happy to send it to you and I'm happy you enjoyed it. I do like Lisa Scottoline. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

Booklogged said...

Les, I think you'd like this one, too.

Lynne, I agree. Scottoline is one of those authors who has never disappointed me.

Iliana, I keep putting her name down when my local book fair asks for suggestions. I'd love to hear her.

Framed, sorry but my copy was left at my other sister's house. Maybe if and when she finishes it she'll pass it on to you. That may never happen, tho. I gave her a CD after out Boston trip and it was setting on a shelf, in the room where I slept, unopened. Good grief!

Kay, thank-you. I feel like you are spreading the joy with that book.

Anonymous said...

I finished this book last week. It was my first from this author and boy, it was a good one!

Ruth said...

I haven't read this author yet, but I certainly will be putting her on my list after reading your post and all the positive comments.

If you're open to suggestions I just finished a real page turner of a suspense novel by Susan Walerstein. The premise of Dancing Above The Waves is a hit-and-run accident and the chain of events it unleashes. There's lots of twists and turns and I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting because I just had to know what happened next.