Pages

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Never Have Your Dog Stuffed

by Alan Alda

After reading Raidergirl3's glowing review of this book, I added it to my TBR list. Then I saw it at the library in audio form. The perfect thing to listen to on our trip to Arizona! Candleman, my mother and I all loved it. In fact, we thought we'd like to check out the hard copy and re-read it. I was happy to listen to the audio, though, because Alda reads it.

Alda tells about incidents in his early life and draws comparisons to his present life. He weaves together lessons he's learned with real life anecdotes. His writing and retelling of his life is often humorous - that goes without saying, right? But not always.

I was struck with Alda's love of learning and his desire to grow and develop in every aspect of his life. I grew to love his wife, Arlene. While listening to accounts of their early married life, I kept hoping they were still together.

The lessons Alda has drawn from his life were all applicable to my, but they are fresh not cliche. I highly recommend this well-written and well-told memoir. And I look forward to re-reading it.

7 comments:

Jill ONeill said...

You know, when someone writes a book of his own life experience and then does the audio-book, it would seem to me that it would be more like having a conversation with the guy rather than listening to a book on tape. One of these days, I'll have to give something like this a try.

pussreboots said...

I got a copy of the book for Christmas and it is on my TBR. I'm looking forward to reading it.

raidergirl3 said...

I'm glad you liked this.
He was a little manic at times, but so intelligent, and wanting to learn. I'm sure he's been married all these years to his wife. I imagine it would have been nice to listen to him read it.

Les said...

I've seen this one at work, and I like Alan Alda (at least from the M*A*S*H days), but until now I never considered reading it. Thanks for the great review. I'm adding it to my TBR list. :)

Framed said...

I've always liked Alda. He seems like such an intelligent actor. I'll have to read this sometime. Did you check it out from the library?

jenclair said...

I've always enjoyed Alan Alda as an actor and this sounds like a good for my biography/memoir list!

Jill said...

This sounds great - especially in light of my recent audiobook obsession. I love Alan Alda - he is always so funny and kind. Thanks for the review!