Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Once Upon a Time II

Even with snow on the ground, I can no longer deny that spring is on its way. It's time for Carl's Once Upon A Time Challenge II, which in and of itself is a harbinger of spring.

There are three quests to choose from again this year. I'm going with Quest I because I think I can do that one and still finish the other challenges I've signed up for, three of which will be ending before summer. This challenge runs from March 21 through June 20.


Quest the First

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

I'll choose books from this selection:
1. River Secrets by Shannon Hale
2. Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett
3. Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett
4. Yarrow by Charles de Lint
5. Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't posted my list yet, but will have a different Shannon Hale book on it - The Goose Girl!

Jill ONeill said...

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! I'm going to participate this year and I am so excited.

Anonymous said...

I plan on reading The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale this year and it will be my first by her so it will be good to read your review of River Secrets and see what her other writing is like. I am looking forward to reading Yarrow and Wintersmith soon as well.

jenclair said...

I haven't posted my list yet, but I do have one. It will expand, no doubt, as I read other lists and reviews, but that is all to the good!

More Terry Pratchett, of course, and maybe a Charles de Lint, too!

Robin said...

Oh, good list! I haven't read any of them, but enjoy Shannon Hale, and Charles de Lint. I bought Wintersmith at the bookstore last weekend, and didn't put it on my OUT Challenge list, but want to read it as an extra. I'm looking forward to reading your reviews!

Cath said...

Nice list - I'm reading the two Pratchett books that go *before* Wintersmith funnily enough. Look forward to your reviews, especially Yarrow by Charle De Lint.

Iliana said...

I have been looking forward to this challenge! I think I'll do the first quest as well but now I just have to choose my books :)
Have fun with your choices!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I haven't heard of the de Lint book, but I'm a fan so I look forward to reading your review. Thank you so much for joining in, thrilled to have you again!

Kailana said...

It is snowing outside right now, so it is hard to believe that yesterday was the first day of spring! I think we are going to have one of those years where it just snows and then bam, it's summer. They say we have four seasons, but some years it just feels like 1 and a half: winter and a brief appearance of summer. hehe

Ana S. said...

yay for Terry Pratchett :) I hope you enjoy your picks. I started The Goose Girl today and so far I love it, so I'm sure I'll want to get River Secrets too.

Susan said...

I've just joined the challenge, thanks to raidergirl3 too. My list is at http://susanflynn.blogspot.com/2008/03/once-upon-time-2-challenge.html
I've read the Charles de Lint book, it is one of my favourites by him. Let us know your review! And I have to read some Shannon Hale, everyone seems to be reading her now.
Isn't this a fun challenge?

darkorpheus said...

Good choice with the Pratchetts. I really love the Tiffany Aching series, so hope you'll enjoy Wintersmith too.

Bellezza said...

I've only heard of Terry Pratchett but never read him. I'm anxious to read what you think.

Stephanie said...

Yeah! I'm so excited by this challenge!! Looks like you have a great list!