Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mom's Chili

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/3941293178_24cbabc1d3.jpgMy Friend Amy is hosting the Fall Festival Recipe Exchange.  Can you believe she's recouped enough from BBAW to think of something else so fun and creative.  She must have boundless amounts of energy.

When the weather starts getting chilly and the trees are decked out in beautiful shades of orange, yellow and red my tummy automatically shifts from its desire for summer squash, swiss chard and cucumbers to yearnings for soups, meatloaf, apple crisp, and baked acorn squash.  (It never does stop its hankering for fresh tomatoes, though!)

MeatloafAs long as I can remember my mother would bake meatloaf, baked potatoes, acorn squash and Brown Betty (apple crisp) all at once for the most satisfying fall meals.  I still carry on that tradition and it makes me feel like I'm using the oven so efficiently.  With just Candleman and I at home, maybe one child, we always have leftover meatloaf for sandwiches the next day.  Oh, yum!

See full size imageBUT this post is not about meatloaf it's about soup, more specifically chili.  Let me just say that I have some fabulous soup recipes and deciding which to share was hard.  I wanted to go with my most recent discovery of Roasted Beet Soup because it is to die for, but I figured most people wouldn't even give it a try.  I know I wouldn't have a couple years ago.

http://z.about.com/d/southernfood/1/0/_/f/2/chili-beef-sausage-3.jpgThis chili recipe is my mom's.  She is a darn good cook and always fed us yummy, well-balanced meals.  That was something I took for granted when we were growing up but I surely do appreciate it now.  I always thought she made the best chili around and I still think that.  One day, after being married for several years, I asked her for her recipe.  She told me she didn't have one.  I pinned her down and said I wouldn't be able to even attempt making it without some kind of a recipe.  I knew I could tweak it later, but I needed something to go on.  Remember I was still young and somewhat inexperienced.  She told me a recipe.  She doesn't have the same recipe because she still makes it from memory - sometimes hers taste really good and sometimes it's a bit off, but mine turns out perfect every time because I follow the recipe.  I always thank my lucky stars that the day she told me the recipe was for that best-ever chili!

Mom's Chili

2 pounds red or kidney beans
Dolores Canning Chili Brick1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds ground beef, browned
1 chili brick
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 large onion, diced
1/2 bunch celery and leaves, sliced
1 quart diced tomatoes
2 quarts tomato juice
1 - 2 packages chili seasoning

1.  Rinse beans; put in large soup pan.  Cover with water to about 1 inch above the level of the beans.  And the salt and oil.  let soak overnight.
2.  Bring the beans to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking until beans are tender.
3.  Add all other ingredients and simmer slowly for 2 hours.  Taste and season with more salt and/or chili powder.

14 comments:

Cath said...

Chilli is something I only make for myself as my husband doesn't like it. He makes a curry when I want chilli, so that works quite well. :-) I wouldn't have thought to put celery in chilli, so will try that next time.

Myke Weber said...

It's all good. It's all soooo good. No kidding!

Heidenkind said...

That recipe sounds super-easy! No one in my house eats chili, so believe it or not, I've never had it.

I am really craving apple crisp now, btw. :)

Marie Cloutier said...

what's a chili brick? :-) it does sound great though! :-)

Anonymous said...

www.WhatsAChiliBrick.com

Hazra said...

The recipe sounds great, and the picture is mouthwatering too. I am just finding my feet in the kitchen; I have a long way to go before my mom hands over any of her recipes to me.

Booklogged said...

Cath, it sounds like everything works out well for your differing tastes. Me? I'll have some of both!

Candleman, I need to get cooking, don't I?

Heidenkind, it is very easy. The only thing that's easier is taco soup. You've never, ever had chili?

Marie, chili bricks can be found near the meat or dairy aisle. Ask someone because there's usually not very many of them. They are a mixture of meat and seasoning with most of the moisture removed. They really help make a good chili. See anonymous's link to learn more.

Hazra, the picture is not mine or my recipe it was just one I found on the web. Do they serve chili in India?

Zibilee said...

This sounds like a great recipe and one that I will be trying out. I think the story about your mom's recipe is very funny, and I have never heard of a chili brick before, but it sounds interesting. I wonder if I can find them in my local grocery store? I have been happily following all of these posts and grabbing some really interesting recipes for this fall. Awesome post, thanks!

Stephanie said...

As much as my husband loves chili, I've yet to find a really good recipe. I'll have to try this one and see how he likes it. Sounds yummy!! And warm!

Staci said...

Where in the world would I find a chili brick???? I love my chili but would really like to try this brick.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

The perfect meal for a fall weekend!

I'm very impressed with the menu you didn't share - yes, that's a very efficient way to use your oven (and I like that you've saved room for dessert!

Framed said...

Gee, when Mom told me how to make chili, she didn't mention using tomato juice. My chili always turns out great unless I burn it. I like to add a little worchestershire sauce and Mexican spiced diced tomatos. I don't use whole celery just the leaves because they have the strongest flavor. I have some in the freezer from last year. May have to get it out soon.

KiKi said...

Great recipe ! I grew up on Delores's Brick Chili. My Grandma, used it for her Amazing chili beans today I will not eat chili beans with out it. It also makes the best chili dogs. Grab a few bags of Fritos from the potato chip rack for the kids cut off the the top of bag pour some of the cooked brick chili into the bag add a lil cheese shredded or nacho give them a plastic fork and BAM !! You have a meal in a bag "Chili Cheese Fritos" & speaking of nachos it goes great with those too. Enjoy!

Jason B from St Louis, MO said...

This is the best chili recipe ever. I found your recipe a few years ago and have been making your chili ever since. Thank you so much for posting it to the world. God Bless!!!