Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

Blogging Around the States - Minnesota

Today we are visiting with Sheila from the great state of  Minnesota.  Sheila blogs at One Persons Journey Through a World of Books and her byline is Bookjourney.
OPJTAWOB 2
Any day of the week you can stop by Sheila's blog and find something new. (Personally, I don't think she sleeps!)  Every morning she shares tidbits from her life and thought in Morning Meanderings.  This weekend she will be away at a Women of Faith Conference so we may have to wait until Monday for further episodes of Meanderings.

676She is always on the go and yet she reads lots of books.  (I need lessons, Sheila)  One of my favorite posts was when she shared with us pictures and comments about her f2f book club - Bookies Book Club.  This is a picture of Sheila as the queen of the book club for this year.  Here's just a snippet from that post:
Of course there is always the July Queen event where we all dress up in formal gowns and have speeches to be the Queen of Bookies.  The nominated Queen reigns for one year, receives the royal throne, crown and scepter.  She breaks all ties in voting and chooses where we meet in the event the member who  is suppose to choose is absent.

Running along the top of Sheila's blog are some tabs that offer extra morsels of fun.  One shows pictures of the authors she's interviewed with links to those interviews.  Another  is for giveaways!  I really hate to spread this news around because it lessens my chances but right now there are 8 current giveaways.  There's a tab for Kids Books and another for Guest interviews.  I hope you'll check out all the fun things going on at One Persons Journey Through a World of Books.

Booklogged:  Start by telling us a little bit about yourself. 

 Sheila: 
I am a 42 YO action/adventure lover.  I have two grown boys (19 and 21) and a hubby who plays the role of Super Hero in my life (non fiction).  I am an office manager by day, and a reader/ blogger by night.  I enjoy biking, rollerblading, Group Power Classes, hanging with friends and family and just being alone to unwind.  Ummmm... lets see, I have traveled to Honduras 6 times and if all goes well, my 7th time will be on Oct 30 of this year where we will work with kids who live in the streets and in the dump. 

Booklogged:  What do you love about your state? 

 

Sheila:
  I love Minnesota Spring through fall - SUMMER being my absolute favorite time of year.  Beautiful summer days in Minnesota sitting on the back deck with a large ice tea and a great read... there is not a whole lot I would trade those moments for.  Minnesota is a beautiful state during these months and the lakes, trees, and fantastic fall colors are just breathtaking.

Booklogged: Is there anything you don't like about where you live?

Sheila:  I am not a fan of Minnesota winters.  The cold and I do not get along.  I really have no outdoor activities I enjoy throughout the winter and if I had my way I would learn to hibernate like a bear. ;)  Or maybe I could just stay in with a blanket and many great books to help me through.... thats pretty much what I do anyway December - March.

Booklogged:  If job, money, family did not enter the equation, would you prefer to live in another state?  Which one?  And why? 
Sheila:  This is a great question and actually one I have pondered.... I think no.  I really do love Minnesota.  I would like to go somewhere for the winters... I wouldn't mind doing winters in Florida - we have some family there or even to go and do longer periods of time in Honduras and then come back in time for spring..... 

Mall_of_America.jpg image by scrappyjessi Booklogged:  If we visited your state what cities, sights, and/or activities would you recommend we check out, see and/or do? 

Sheila:  Oh we would have a blast!  Come in the sumemr and we would travel to the Mall of America and enjoy a great day of shopping, browsing and eating great foods.  I would hook you up with a bike and we would join in one of the many 50 mile bike tours that go on spring through fall.  We would meet so many great people and experience the great tastes of Minnesota.  A day or two on the lakes - boating or fishing, a day at the Mansions in Little Falls and perhaps the Apple Festival in ALexandria, The Blueberry festival in Ely or the haunted ship tour in Duluth to round out your time.

Booklogged: Who are some authors that hail from your state? 

Sheila:  Tami Hoag, John Sanford, Charles Schultz, Jon Hassler, Lorna Landvik, Scott Fitzgerald, Tim O'Brian, William Krueger, ... I know I am probably forgetting some great ones...

Booklogged:  Do you have a favorite book set in your state? 

Sheila:  I am going to go with The Little House on the Prarie books.  I grew up with them and enjoyed the references in them made to Minnesota. As a young girl my mom had bought me a beautiful boxed set of all the books.  through the years I do not know what happened to them but I do wish I still had them today.

I want to thank Sheila for taking time to answer my questions.  I can't wait to visit Minnesota and spend time enjoying its beauty.  I'll be looking you up when I do, Sheila!

HELP!  If you are, or know someone who is, from one of these states will you leave a comment or email
me.  Thank-you.
  • North Dakota
  • Alabama
  • Oklahoma
  • New Mexico 

9 comments:

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

Thank you! This looks wonderful! :)

raidergirl3 said...

Hi Sheila!

Great post, Minnesota would be a great place to visit, and like Canada, they appreciate the summers so much!
Little House books are the best.

Staci said...

I so enjoy this feature on your blog. I'm with Sheila in regards to the winters in the midwest!! This is truly the only time that I don't enjoy living in Michigan!! I would love to be a part of her book club!!!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I would LOVE to visit Minnesota sometime--and I just love that Sheila dresses up with her book club.

This is such a fun feature!

Myke Weber said...

Obviously, I've not spent enough time in Minnesota nor have I spent enough time visiting Sheila's interesting blog. Very fun interview, thanks both of you.

Heidenkind said...

Hi, Sheila! *waves*

We went to Minnesota a few years ago on vacation and it was a beautiful state!

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

Hi everyone -thanks for the comments :)

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I don't think that Sheila sleeps either. I hate the cold too. Yuck!

Thoughts of Joy said...

Another beautiful state interview. This feature is making me want to travel around the US! Hi Sheila! May your trip to Honduras be a productive one!