Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Bride Most Begrudging

by Deeanne Gist
I don't usually read Christian literature or romances. (I may have to quit saying that about romances, because it seems like I've read quite a few over the past year. What's happening to me?) Anyway A Bride Most Begrudging is a Christian romance which means it doesn't go into details. I appreciate that. Even without the details there was a lot of sexual tension and misunderstanding between the two lead characters.

From the back cover: "Any ship arriving from England means good news for Virginia colony farmers. The 'tobacco brides' would be on board. Drew O'Connor isn't stirred by news of a ship full of brides. Still broken-hearted from the loss of his beloved, he only wants a maid to tend his house and care for his young sister.

What he ends up with is a wife - a feisty redhead who claims she is Lady Constance Morrow, daughter of an Earl, brought to America against her will. And she wants to go straight back to England as soon as she can. She hasn't the foggiest notion how to cook, dares to argue with her poor husband, and spends more time working on mathematical equations than housework. What kind of wife is that? Drew's Christian forbearance is in for some testing."

It's a well-written and captivating story with equal amounts of heartache and joy. I enjoyed this book.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Haven't heard of this one, it sounds good. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

I've read a fair amount of Christian fiction to know that the writing in that genre isn't up to par with mainstream fiction. However, I loved Deeanne Gist! If you enjoyed BMB, take a gander at "The Measure of A Lady." I don't think it's as good, but I quite enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

I've read a fair amount of Christian fiction to know that the writing in that genre isn't up to par with mainstream fiction. However, I loved Deeanne Gist! If you enjoyed BMB, take a gander at "The Measure of A Lady." I don't think it's as good, but I quite enjoyed it.

Lotus Reads said...

How fascinating, booklogged. I didn't know there was a Christian romance subgenre. It's been ages since I've read a romance..I used to love them at one time, I'm sure I'll have no problems getting back!

Bookfool said...

Sounds terrific. I have to agree that solid Christian fiction is still hard to find, but that doesn't mean I won't keep hoping (and giving it a sample, now and then).

Lotus Reads said...

Forgot to mention...I really love the cover!

Framed said...

Hmmm. Sounds like those smut romances I read in college without the smut. That would be a huge improvement although I loved them back in the day.

Anonymous said...

4 June 2007



After the storm, my mind cleared.


And a high wind arose and blew the tropics north.







running quartz crystals through a blender.

sand through your engines.

bubbles in your bays.

estuaries reaching out toward forbidden seas...

sand through your eyes.













5 June 2007




Calm as baby's breath


as peaceful as the storm's eye


Clouds spread and drawn with rough strokes of stratospheric winds


a warm and windy tropical day.










7 June 2007


Black water at dusk.

Lighting on the horizon.


Warm winds coming in across the darkening waters.


A flash of white wings as an egret takes flight.


And Thunder like God clearing his throat.










8 June 2007




Morning star in the still of the clear, dark waters.


a sky as clear eyed as a young girl.


bruised and tattered storm remnants limp off in the gathering light.












9 June 2007



Tickled her fancy.


giggling all the day long.


pretty good for a Saturday.


Clouds on the lake floating aimlessly by.



She smiled big--grinned really.









12 JUne 2007


A silver sky

ripe for the mirror.

you can not see yourself in this mirror

you can only see others

moreover, you can only see what others choose to expose.

Their houses, their boats, their sea-doos.




Birds skimming low over the water could

like as not

see them selves if they were to look down

as they skim low over the water

but they never do.

Rather they allow their reflections to chase them

quick and sharp over the still, glistening waters

while the bird's mind remains ever fixed on

food, or other birds, or escaping those damn noisy humans.










A dense forest impenetrable as a gaze.

















13 JUne 2007



Like angry bee's eyes

the metal screen seen through the bamboo blinds.



A million insects dot the lake spreading micro ripples








14 June 2007



Of Fly Catchers and hidden lakes.


Of sleeping lizards and morning dew.

It is of birdsong and misty dawns

and fleeced clouds floating in a still pool.


The waters ripple awake in the gathering morn.





The first water birds head out for the far shore.