Pages

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Southern Reading

Several days ago, Maggie grabbed me by the wrist and wrenched my right arm around behind my back, pulling hard in an upward direction. She wouldn't quit until I promised to join the Southern Reading Challenge. And if you believe that I have some land for sale in the Sahara...

The truth is when I first heard about the challenge I didn't know of any books that would qualify. Since then Maggie has offered lots of suggestions, both authors and titles. All it took was for me to see her post on the Southern Sisters mystery series written by Anne George. With all the challenges going around I saw this as my perfect opportunity to get some mysteries read. I also discovered that I have a southern book on my shelves that I can count and get it OFF my shelves.

Here's the 3 books I've chosen to read between June 1 and August 31:
1. Murder on a Girl's Night Out by Anne George

2. Murder on a Bad Hair Day by Anne George

3. Ballad of Frankie Silver by Sharyn McCrumb (this one is on my shelf. Years ago I read a couple of McCrumb's books and enjoyed them. The first one was If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him. How could I pass on a book with a title like that?! I read another of McCrumb's but can't remember it's name. I remember liking both books I read by McCrumb so I'm looking forward to this one. Also, her books have a bit of mystery to them.)


Possible alternative: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Sharyn McCrumbs books. First one I read was Bimbos of the Death Sun. How can you resist a title like that?

maggie moran said...

So, I gave you the ole Southern Squeeze, huh?!? ;D
Thanks for joining, I'm thrilled you will be reading some muggy mysteries!

pussreboots said...

I'm doing this challenge too. Here's my list.

Booklogged said...

Carrie, I can't resist that title. On to my list it goes. Where does she come up with those?!

Maggie, glad you have a good sense of humor.

Pussreboots, I'm heading over to see your list right now.

Lotus Reads said...

This does sound like a really cool challenge, booklogged! I can't say I've read too many books set in the south, but I truly look forward to reading some of your reviews!!!

Good luck and I hope you do well!

Anonymous said...

That Maggie is a tough cookie isn't she? :) I couldn't resist the challenge either. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

There's a sequel to Bimbos too.

Doesn't she have great titles? That's what sucked me into her first one.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that the Anne George books are hysterical! I'm going to check them out at our library soon. I've never heard of Sharyn McCrumb - I'll look for her books too.

Literary Feline said...

Ooo! I'm so glad you are doing some lighter reading too for the challenge. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on all your books as they are authors I hope to someday read.