Pages

Friday, May 11, 2007

The Looking Glass Wars

by Frank Beddor

This synopsis is from The Looking Glass Wars website. You really need to visit and watch the trailers, look at the imagination gallery, etc.

"The Looking Glass Wars unabashedly challenges the world’s Carrollian Wonderland assumptions of tea parties, dormice and a curious little blonde girl to reveal an epic, cross dimensional saga of love, murder, betrayal, revenge and the endless war for Imagination. Meet the heroic, passionate, monstrous, vengeful denizens of this parallel world as they battle each other with AD-52’s and orb generators, navigate the Crystal Continuum, bet on jabberwock fights and slip each other the poisonous pink mushroom. Finally, someone got it right. This ain’t no fairytale.

Alyss Heart, heir to the Wonderland throne, was forced to flee through the Pool of Tears after a bloody palace coup staged by the murderous Redd shattered her world. Lost and alone in Victorian London, Alyss is befriended by an aspiring author to whom she tells the surreal, violent, heartbreaking story of her young life only to see it published as the nonsensical children’s sojourn Alice in Wonderland. Alyss had trusted Lewis Carroll to tell the truth so that someone, somewhere would find her and bring her home.

But Carroll had got it all wrong. He even misspelled her name! If not for the intrepid Hatter Madigan, a member of the Millinery (Wonderland’s security force) who after a 13 year search eventually tracked Alyss to London, she may have become just another society woman sipping tea in a too-tight bodice instead of returning to Wonderland to battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts."

I bought this book for my daughter. Can't wait until she reads it so we can discuss it. I'm looking forward to reading the next two in the series.

8 comments:

jenclair said...

Thanks for the link! Another one for the list! I was reading about a biography of Carroll yesterday, but now I've forgotten the name. Need to check back on that one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I am putting this in the TBR pile.

Anonymous said...

This one has been on my list since Carl reviewed it on SSD. I keep seeing reviews and posts about it, so I am itching to pick up a copy...

Glad you enjoyed it!

Carrie K said...

I missed Carl reviewing this. It looks good. Another one for my shelves (said in a bit of a whine - yeah, like you all MAKE me read these books! ;)

Alyson said...

This book sounds really good. I'm definitely putting it on my list. Maybe I can borrow it after your other daughter reads it.

Lotus Reads said...

Oh booklogged, I would love to read this, especially as all the characters from Alice in Wonderland are still very fresh in my memory!

Heading for the website now!

Amey said...

Hey, that sounds like a nice one. After reading some books which reinterpret/give history to famous books ("The Last Cato" being a notable one), something which takes a kids' book and turns it into a fantasy should be next on my list.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm almost sick with anticipation for the second book in this series. I really enjoyed the first and am glad you did as well.