Pages

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Four Agreements

by Don Miguel Riuz
My first Non-fiction read chalked off. I read this book years ago and enjoyed it less this time, but it was still worth refreshing my memory. The four agreements are:
Be impeccable with your word
Don't take anything personally
Don't make assumptions
Always do your best
Riuz spends the first part of the book explaining the Toltec wisdom and practices that rest on these four agreements. Then he explains each agreement in further detail, helping the reader understand what each means. The last part of the book he explains how to be a warrior when it comes to fighting against the misconceptions that fuel the fears we've let ourselves believe all our lives. Finally he ends with some simple prayers.

I think I should reread the four agreements on a regular basis. They make sense to me and I can see how they would bring increased happiness.

8 comments:

Cassie said...

Sounds like something I wouldn't want to read. You know how I feel about self-help books but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Look I'm commenting!

Bellezza said...

I was a bit disappointed in this book (probably because I half expected it to effect me as the Bible's wisdom does) but I couldn't agree more with the reminder NOT TO TAKE THINGS PERSONALLY. You'd think I'd have learned that lesson by now, it's such a critical one. I'm glad you outlined the four agreements for my review.

Anonymous said...

hmmm interesting... prayers to who?

Joy said...

I read this in 2003 and really enjoyed it. Simple, yet important.

Joy said...

Oops! I forgot to add that you can link this post on Mister Linky for the Non-Fiction Five Challenge.

Lotus Reads said...

I was tidying up the bookshelf in the basement this morning when I saw my well-thumbed copy of "The FOur Agreements" I thought of picking it up and going through it one quick time because, like you, I felt I needed a quick refresher on the principles. I was really happy to see you post on this booklogged.

Lotus Reads said...

BTW, congrats on getting off to a great start with the Non-Fiction challenge..I am nearly done with my first and second books...yes, I am reading two books side by side! :)

Anonymous said...

I would appreciate it if you would cease leeching my bandwidth. you broke agreement #3 when you assumed i wouldn't mind paying the extra bandwidth fees for you and everyone else's using of my graphic. you may get your own, alter your own and host you own. thank you.