Pages

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Good Guy

by Dean Koontz

Listening to this book brought us through Kansas and most of the way through Colarado. Both Candleman and I love Dean Koontz and were confident that his book would hold our interest while driving familiar roads.

The main character, Timothy Carrier, a quiet stone mason having a beer in a California bar, meets a stranger who mistakes him for a hit man. The stranger slips Tim a manila envelope containing $10,000 in cash and a photo of the intended victim, Linda Paquette, a writer in Laguna Beach, then leaves. A moment later, Krait, the real killer, shows up and assumes Tim is his client. Tim manages to distract Krait from immediately carrying out the hit by saying he's had a change of heart and offering Krait the $10,000 he just received. This ploy gives the stone mason enough time to warn Linda before they begin a frantic flight for their lives. --Publisher's Weekly

I really enjoyed this book, although I thought the love interest was a bit weird. There was a fair amount of tension to keep my interest. Not the best Koontz book I've read, but still good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting premise... I'm still debating whether to put this one on my wish list.

Lover of Books said...

I really liked this one. :) It was definitely different but interesting nonetheless. :)

Anonymous said...

I have recently heard a lot about about Dean Koontz. Looks like I should give him a chance. Any suggestions for starters?

Booklogged said...

Heather, if you have read and liked Dean Koontz, you will probably like this one.

Lover of Books, I enjoyed it, too. I don't think my review let on that I liked it.

Fleiger, I love Dean Koontz. Whenever I just need to read a book that grabs my attention I reach for Koontz. I would recommend starting with Odd Thomas.

Maaja Wentz said...

Thanks for your comment on my Thursday meme.

Les said...

I like the premise of this one. He's a bit of a hit-or-miss author for me, though, so I suppose this will languish on my TBR list until I happen upon it at the library. Speaking of Koontz, I just picked up Brother Odd a couple of days ago at the library. Loved Odd Thomas, but didn't care much for Forever Odd. I'm hoping this one's a winner!

Framed said...

I just mooched Odd Thomas but don't know when I'll get around to it.

Amey said...

Thanks... would take a look see soon ;)

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! But then again, I am a Koontz fan.