Pages

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khaled Hosseni

Candleman and I listened to this book on our iPod while driving through New Brunswick, Quebec Province, New York, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri and part of Kansas. There were lots of stops, starts and delays of days in our reading, so the experience was not ideal. I think this is a book that should be read in a more succinct time frame than what we gave it. One thing I did like about listening to it was hearing the pronunciation of the words, especially Mariam and Liala's names.

It's a wonderful book. I think it favorably compares to The Kite Runner. I enjoyed learning more of Afghanistan and the way of life for many of its people. A Thousand Splendid Suns tells the story of Mariam and Laila's lives and how they came to be interconnected. It tells of the hardships they had to bear and their methods of coping. Both are brave, courageous woman. I can highly recommend this book to you.

12 comments:

Les said...

And I second that. Marvelous book. Do you think you'll read the printed version?

Anonymous said...

I've got to pick up this book. I really enjoyed The Kite Runner.

Marg said...

I really enjoyed this when I read it not too long ago as well!

jenclair said...

Loved The Kite Runner and look forward to this one!

Cassie said...

I do want to read this one someday. I loved The Kite Runner.

Gentle Reader said...

I've heard it compared favorably to The Kite Runner. Can't wait to read it!

Booklogged said...

Les, I would love to read the printed version, but I'm so far behind with my challenges that it will have to be later, much later.

Carrie, I think you'll enjoy it.

Marg, thanks for commenting.

Jenclair, looking forward to your thoughts about it.

Cassie, I loved Kite Runner, too. I think you will like Splendid Suns, too.

Gentle Reader, hope your TBR list is shorter than mine.

Framed said...

How funny. I just reviewed this as well. And I listened to it on CD. I think I would have liked it better if I had read it. I concentrate better when I'm reading and this book needed more concentration. Still I liked it a lot.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Yes, great book! I read it in about 2 days, so my experience was probably a little different, but it was just so emotionally wrenching that I couldn't put it down. Sounds like a great trip!!

Anonymous said...

Would you say you liked it better than The Kite Runner?

Booklogged said...

Framed, that is funny! Such a coincidence.

Trish, I wish I'd read it in print rather than listening to it.

Les, I would have to experience it the same way I did Kite Runner to make a fair comparison - that is, I need to read it in print. My initial response is that they are both equally compelling stories.

alisonwonderland said...

thanks for stopping by my review! i've put a link to you there. i think you are right that the BCD route would be a different experience than reading it.