Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

R.I.P. II Challenge


This is the second year Carl is hosting the R.I.P. II Challenge. Hip, hip, hooray! We sure appreciate you, Carl. R.I.P. stands for Readers' Imbibing Peril. And that is just what reader's who accept this challenge will be doing - Imbibing Peril. There is a choice of 4 perils so you can choose your own cup of poison. Click on the above link to read all the ins and outs of the challenge.

I am going with Peril the First - Read Four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose. My 'pool' of choices include

1. Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (My daughter's recommendation)
2. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
3. Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett
4. Bones by Jan Burke
5. Strange Happenings by Avi
6. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
7. Crystal Rain by Tobias S. Buckell
8. Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
9. Seeing Red (The Looking Glass Wars) by Frank Beddor

13 comments:

Kailana said...

Very interesting list! I look forward to hearing what you have to say about some of them. :)

Oh, and just a typo point out, it is "Norrell" not "Morrell". :)

Booklogged said...

Thanks, Kailana. I fixed it. To think all these book reviews and I've been misreading it every time. Blush with embarassemtnt.

Melwyk said...

Ooh, I love "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell". Hope you'll make your way through it!

Framed said...

Strange and Norrell is on my TBR list, so I hope it is a good one. I have a Follett book on the shelves but I have never read him. Haven't heard of the rest of these books. See, the problem with challenges is that I keep adding so many more books to the TBR list as I read everyone's reviews. How will I ever catch up?

SuziQoregon said...

Great list! Looking forward to your reviews.

Petunia said...

I too am reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde(that's a mouthful) for the RIP II Challenge. I'm looking forward to this season of creepy reading.

chrisa511 said...

Great list booklogged! I thought you had read Jonathan Strange for some reason. I'm excited that you're reading it...I think you'll love it! I haven't heard of many of your books. Looking forward to your reviews as always :)

Cath said...

That's an interesting list - quite a few I haven't heard of so will look forward to your reviews and maybe getting some recommendations.

Anonymous said...

I just got Jonathan Strange in the mail and WOW, it's like 900 pages! I just hope I can get through all three of my choices!!
Stephanie
www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Great list with a lot of variety. I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde last year. So different from what I was expecting - of course I was basing all my knowledge on movie verisons :)
Good luck!

Bellezza said...

I suspect you will love Devil in The White City, especially after visiting Chicago this summer.

(I liked the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, although it was strange indeed, and Eye of the Needle was good, too, in my opinion.)

Lotus Reads said...

Oh, I remember what fun you had with this contest last year booklogged! I see you have once again come up with a fabulous selection of books for this year's challenge. I wait with bated breath for your impressions on Jeckyll and Hyde as well as "Devil in the White CIty". Good luck, I am sure you'll do well!

Eva said...

ohhh-Devil in the White City was so creepy. I loved the Clarke, but I didn't really think it was creepy. :)

I don't think I've even heard of the rest of these books. Can't wait for your reviews (especially now that I can see your blog again-*pout* the computer gods didn't let me read it for the last couple months).