Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Just4thehelluvit Challenge

This is the challenge that needed to happen. You know that I love challenges and jump on the band wagon whenever a new comes along. I really do love them. I get excited about choosing the books, making the lists, posting the posts and reading the books. I thrill at crossing a book off the list when I finish reading it. And it's pure satisfaction to write a challenge wrap-up post when I finish the challenge. I've joined many challenges; finished all but one, which broke my heart because it was the Summer Mystery Challenge. Oh, how I hope Liz from Reviewed by Liz will sponsor this challenge again next summer. I can almost guarantee that next summer will NOT include a 36 day trip and a flooded basement. **fingers crossed** I'll be happy to grovel, Liz, if you will promise me...

Anyway, the brilliant Pink Dana at Think Pink came up with a challenge for the times - the times of many book challenges. You'll thinks she's brilliant, too, when you read the rules for this challenge:
The just4thehelluvit challenge is for those of us who just can't seem to read something simply because we want to.

Therefore, this challenge has just
one rule: nothing you read for it can cross over to ANY other challenge. You are reading these books JUST4THEHELLUVIT!

I don't care if you read one book or forty-three. I don't care if they won awards or not, if they have literary merit or not, if your Aunt Mathilda's poodle wrote it in a worm medicine induced stupor or not. I just don't care.

Go on and read one for fun! Do it for me! Do it for the hell of it! But please, PLEASE for the love of all that is holy,
do not make a list.

One afternoon when a book sounds good, just tickles your fancy for no good reason, go ahead and READ IT WITHOUT GUILT! And consider yourself officially a reading rebel!
The only way I can possibly do this challenge is to sign up for some of those others that will let me make a list! Just kidding! I'm not kidding about signing up for other challenges, though.

Do you love this idea - Reading a book just because it strikes your fancy at the moment? I remember doing that in my past life, before reading challenges. It's going to be fun. Thanks, Dana, for giving us the excuse to read just4thehelluvit.

12 comments:

Cath said...

Well, I'm just embarking on my first two official challenges so *normal* for me is reading whatever I fancy. And I have to say I usually have a terrible time choosing what to read next because I have a lot of books on my tbr pile. I'm really looking forward to a more structured way of reading so I won't have this terrible time picking a book out. Also I shall be shifting a few things off the tbr mountain and that's always good.

Anonymous said...

lol! now this is the one kind of challenge I could have time for!

Kailana said...

I read what I want to read anyways, even for challenges I don't make official lists. :)

Dewey said...

I've been missing just grabbing books and reading, since I overchallenged myself, so YES, to answer your question.

Framed said...

I've been trying to find challenges that fit all the books I own so I will try harder to get them read. I suppose there may be some lurking on the shelf that have escaped the challenge round-up. Maybe that new one I just mooched. So why the hell not?

SwimmyMom said...

I'm signed up, too. Such a great idea!

--Bookfool

hellomelissa said...

NO MORE CHALLENGES! i'm having to listen to audiobooks just to get any reading time these days. on the ipod?? "northanger abbey" by jane austen. on the night-table? "the wind-up bird chronicles" by haruki murakami.

Booklogged said...

Cath, best of luck on your challenges. I need to use ONLY books from my piles or lists instead of adding new ones with each challenge.

Heather, you and me, both.

Kailana, I usually choose what I want to read, too. And I never figure my list is cut and dried in cement, but I miss just seeing a book and picking up and reading it right then and there.

Dewey, I'm definitely overchallenged, but I don't see any change in my addictive behavior.

Framed, Most of the books on my shelves are mysteries. So which challenge do I mess up on - the mystery challenge! Go figure.

Swimmymom, that is an appropriate aka for you. Hope we succeed at this one!

Melissa, you are so strong, just quiting cold turkey like that. Good on you.

Bellezza said...

How nice to read something one doesn't have to feel compulsive about!

alisonwonderland said...

just why are these challenges so addictive?! i love "justforthehelluvit" because i won't have to feel guilty for those reads! :)

Eva said...

I like doing a mix of planned/challenged reading and random reading. I'm a huge list person though. :)

Right now, I'm feeling constricted my all the non-fic I'm trying to red (6 books/month until the end of the year). Ugh. Hopefully, though, if I get in the habit, then I'll really start to enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your challenge! It sounds fun, but I am too easy to add even one more at the moment.