Pages

Monday, August 27, 2007

Murder on a Girls' Night Out

by Anne George

Oh happy days! I finally got to read a mystery. This one is for Maggie's Southern Reading Challenge. Only one more book to go and only 5 days to finish it. With that in mind I'm going to read the 2nd in this series, which is Murder on a Bad Hair Day.

Murder on a Girl's Night Out gave me a real feel for the south. It's about two mature women (in their sixties) who are sisters. The oldest, Mary Alice, is large, brassy, and bold while the other, Patricia Anne nicknamed Mouse, is petite and demur. Mary Alice has had 4 or 5 husband and now a male "friend". Mouse has been married to Fred forever.

Two of my favorite lines are from Mouse as she describes her feelings for her husband.
"He smiled when he saw me coming and waited for me. At that moment I loved him. I mean, I knew I loved him, which is something entirely different. One of the things you learn in a long marriage is that these moments happen. You'll see him standing in line at the movie waiting to buy tickets, or walking toward you at the Winn-Dixie with a gallon of milk, squinting at it to is if the date is okay, and you thinking, Hey, I love this man. You also learn not to take these moments for granted. So we didn't."

The next one comes a few pages later.
"I tried to remember that I had loved him a couple of hours ago."

This cozy mystery contained a fairly good who-done-it along with lots of laughs and a few insightful glimpses into relationships - husband/wife, mother/daughter, sisters and friends. An enjoyable, quick, easy-going read. I'll enjoy reading more in this series.

16 comments:

Myke Weber said...

Why is it that women are like that? Such fickle feelings. Is it that men are so inconsisitent? Or is it that women's emotions are on yoyo strings?

Ramond and I sure would like to know.

jenclair said...

Sounds great and is now definitely on my list of "wanna reads." I'm finding that I really enjoy characters about "mature women"--hmmmm.

And candleman--I have no doubt but that my husband can love me on Monday and wonder about it by Wednesday. :)

Anonymous said...

Aww. Sounds nifty!

candleman: I love my husband ALL the time. Ain't no yo-yo there.

maggie moran said...

You can do it! Especially if you get another Souther Sisters Series! :D

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I'm in the middle of this series, and I love these books! "Cozy" mysteries are a new genre for me, but I love them. Light, easy and usually really clean, and often quite funny! I had checked one of these out of my library and found that I loved them! I subsequently found the whole set at a library sale, for 50 cents each, and bought them all. I love them, great review!

Booklogged said...

Candleman, I know in Raymond's case it's not so much that his wife if fickle!

Jenclair, I'm in to my second Southern Sisters Mystery and it's even better. I think you'd really enjoy this series.

Heather, I love my husband all the time, too. The quote says that loving him and knowing it are two different things. Sometimes I don't know it. Does that make sense? It does to me.

Maggie, I AM going to make it.

Stacy, What a bargain! I'm going to try and mooch the next ones. I'm loving book 2.

raidergirl3 said...

This is the book I got from the library the night I met you! That I was reading outside on that hot, southern night. Cool!
I liked the book too, it certainly was a nice, easy read.

Booklogged said...

Raidergirl3, I'd forgotten that, but now that you mention it I remember you holding the book up to show me. Another connection made! Very cool, indeed.

Joy said...

I read this one in 2004 and thought it was good, but never picked another one up. ??? I'm glad you're enjoying the second one, too.

Framed said...

Sounds great, I just mooched it from you. Can you send it express?

SuziQoregon said...

there you go - getting me interested in another series. I hope this series is available as audiobooks (I've got 3 library systems that I have access to, so I'm hoping). It sounds like good driving around town listening.

Anonymous said...

booklogged: drop back by my reviews page if you still want to read Crystal Rain. Buckell left you a note in the comments.

Stephanie said...

I really enjoy cozy little mysteries! This one sounds like fun! Nice review!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd forgotten about this series. They're so fun.

Is candleman implying that men have constant unchanging feelings? Because I bet I could take the first 4 divorce cases any day, any where and prove differently.

Prit P said...

This book sounds awesome might have to go out and look for it. I need some answers to my blog care to help?

http://alltypesofbooks.blogspot.com

Literary Feline said...

I look forward to reading this one after reading your review. :-)