Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bachelor Brothers' Bed & Breakfast

by Bill Richardson

I read so many good reviews for this little gem that I either mooched it or bought it for one cent (plus shipping and handling - 3.99). I'm so glad I did. I enjoyed it so much that I'm going to hold onto it for a reread. Knowing that this was a keeper after only a few pages I highlighted and book-darted passages that struck my fancy. Richardson has a wonderful way with words.
Praise be, we have come to the end of a beautiful day. A day that was all the lovelier for being unexpected. A day that was a perfect pearl pulled from the bland, grey oyster we call November.
And speaking of words - I highlighted many that were unfamiliar, perhaps known only to Canadians or to people in that small community. There were also words I recognized but had never seen them used in the way Richardson did. I've italicized the terms in the few examples below.
It took me some time before I twigged to what they were . .

It pleases me so much to find odds and sods that have been left behind in books.

His house is chock-a-block with small monuments to the inventiveness of the species . . .
The twin brothers who run the B&B are in their 50's. They live on an island between Vancouver Island and the west coast of Canada. (I groaned when I read that because I wanted to pack my bags and head out immediately!) The book consists of letters written by the brothers and entries in the B&B's journal. In this manner we get to know the brothers, interesting tidbits about their mother, the family parrot and cat, some of the locals. There are fond, and often funny, memories shared.

I wonder if younger readers enjoy it as much as those of us that are on the downward slope? If you've read it and are under 40, let me know what you thought. I thought it was absolutely delightful.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for you to review this book. Can't wait to read it myself now. Thanks!

Thoughts of Joy said...

So glad you liked it! I'm really looking forward to reading it.

raidergirl3 said...

I'm not under 40 now, but I was when I read it, probably 10 years ago and I loved it! I used to listen to Richardson on CBC in the afternoon, so I was predisposed to like it, but I found it perfectly charming.

Regarding the phrases, I don't use them, but I don't think they would have completely stood out to me as unusual. I'm sure I've read them before. I may have used twigged now that I think about it.

Framed said...

So glad you liked this. I'm keeping my copies of both as well, but you can borrow the sequel sometime if you'd like. Maybe when you finish my other books. I think I liked the sequel better but that could be because I read it first.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I think I'll have to look for this one.

jenclair said...

I read and enjoyed this several years ago, but now I need to re-read it and get the sequel!

Zibilee said...

I have this book on my shelf, but haven't read it yet. I have heard such good things about it though,and I really want to make time to read it soon.

Jeanne said...

I'm not under 40, but loved this book, and recall that there were two more in the series that I read when I first discovered this one.

Staci said...

Excellent review and I'm going to read it for sure! I like the twist that it is about brothers and not sisters...strange words indeed!! I love learning new vocab so I can show off to my middle school students!! Love the background of your blog too!

Booklogged said...

Beverooni, my bet is you'll love it.

Raidergirl3, I loved some of those words. I'm going to start using some of them. The etymology of twigged interests me. Do you know?

Framed, too late, I already ordered the sequel.

Hi SassyMonkey, it a fun, gentle book. Hope you enjoy it.

Jenclair, it's going to make a great reread.

Zibilee, it's always nice to have good books waiting on the shelf. I like the feeling of anticipation and will sometimes put off reading a book so I still have it to look forward to.

Jeanne, two more in the series?! I only knew of one. Oh, yay!

Staci, while I was reading I kept wishing I was still teaching so I could share some of the words and the story with my students. Thanks for the compliments. Kind words are always welcome and encouraged.

Susan said...

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that you won a book over on my blog. Click on over for all the details. Congrats!

Iliana said...

Oh I remember this book! I read it in my late 20s and yes I enjoyed it a lot. I kept thinking I'd love to find a B&B like this one on my travels but so far I'm still looking :)

Les said...

I'm on the backside of 40 these days, but when I read this for the first time, I believe I was in my 30s. I absolutely LOVED this book, and was heartbroken when I realized the B&B doesn't truly exist. Like you, I was ready to pack my bags and spend a week or two with the bachelors and Waffle. ;) I definitely need to read this again soon. However, I won't waste my time on the sequel. It was quite disappointing. Don't even think I own it anymore.

Booklogged said...

Susan, you just made my day! Thanks so much.

Iliana, so it does have universal appeal. I'm glad to hear it.

Les, I was going to add the story of Waffle's name to my review but decided it was too long.

Eva said...

I'm 22 and read it when I was 21 and I loved it!! I bookmooched it too, and it makes me so happy to know it's sitting on my shelves. :D

It made me wish I could go visit too.

Anonymous said...

I'm under forty only in my mind and I loved the book. I use twigged all the time but not so much the other phrases.