Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Johhny and the Dead

by Terry Pratchett

I liked this second book in the series better than the first, Only You Can Save Mankind. The characters are quirky, interesting and most of them are dead. Pratchett's humor is always wonderful and usually insightful.

I liked this passage:
It occurred to Johnny again that the human mind, of which each of his friends was in possession of one almost standard sample, was like a compass. No matter how much you shook it up, no matter what happened to it, sooner or later it would end up pointing the same way.
If you are trying to encourage a young reader I think this book would be great. And I would go with this one rather than the first, it really doesn't need to be read in order. The suggested reading level is ages 9-12, but I think it can be appreciated by much older readers, too.

6 comments:

Hazra said...

I enjoyed Pratchett's humour in the first Discworld book, and I look forward to reading this one too. I am beyond the recommended reading age, but it doesn't really matter, does it?

Kailana said...

I really need to read more Pratchett!

Framed said...

I thought this was the first one. I recently mooched Johnny and the Bomb but hadn't been able to get Only You can Save Mankind. Maybe I will pass on that one. I listened to Johnny and the Dead on a trip to Salt Lake and just laughed and laughed.

Deborah Talmadge said...

This is great. I'm always on the look out for books for my grandson. Thanks.

Jill said...

I read this one first by mistake, and I still haven't gotten around to the first in the trilogy. I listened to it as well, and found it very funny with interesting characters and a thoughtful premise.

Zibilee said...

I have never read a book from this author, but have always been curious. Where should I start?