Pages

Monday, March 09, 2009

The Senator's Wife

by Sue Miller

This is the story of Meri and Delia, women at opposite ends of marriage, motherhood and life and the relationship that develops as they share different apartments in the same New England house.

Meri is a beautiful, sexy young wife of a college professor. Delia is estranged from her husband, the charismatic retired senator and notorius philanderer Tom Naughton. Meri is intrigued with the elegant older woman and by the unusual relationship that exists between Delia and Tom.

My feelings about this book are mirky so I'm not even going to attempt to sort them out for this brief review. I like Miller's writing, her ability to make these women come to life, the way she develops and tells a story. The story itself is unsettling, which I'm sure is the author's intent. And that's where my feelings about the book are at this point - unsettled. I suspect time will not help me to clarify or sort them out. It's about the characters that I'm feeling so unsettled. How do I feel about them and their decisions?

Did I like this book? Mostly, yes.
Can I recommend it? Hmmmm . . . I'll get back to you on that.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I had a hard time with this one, too. I actually gave up on it fairly early on ... just wasn't grabbing my attention too much.

Staci said...

After that review I'm not in any big rush to read this book!! I'll wait until you get back with us!! LOL!!

jenclair said...

I guess I'll skip it, too. :/

Zibilee said...

You make it sound kind of intriguing. I might not read this, but I definitely want to find out more about it.

Susan said...

This book reminds me of what we all really wonder about Bill and Hillary Clinton. And I've never wanted to go into that marriage question, so I don't think this is a book I'd read. thanks for the review - whew, one book down, 1,000,000 to go! lol