Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

CanYou Identify This Place or Picture?

I am hoping that someone in the vast blogosphere will be able to help me identify where these pictures were taken. They are from our summer 2007 trip. I do know the general location, but I'm hoping I can be more specific in the photo book I'm making.

Picture 1: The lighthouse is located on the shore of Lake Superior, somewhere south of the Split Rock Lighthouse or along the northern shore of Wisconsin to the west of Bayfield.
Picture 2: This building (hotel?) is in a city along Hiway 2 in northern Wisconsin (east of Bayfield) or on Hiway 28 in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan.

Picture 3: Does anyone recognize this old-fashioned McDonald's? I'm quite sure it's in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan along Hiway 28/41. I'm hoping someone can tell me the town.

Picture 4: I think this church is in Marquette, Michigan or somewhere south of Marquette on Hiway 41. Can anyone verify that?

Hopefully someone will be able to help me. I tried to make notes of pictures taken, but my diary is very, very spotty!

8 comments:

Ben Rasmussen said...

The first one looks like it is the Two Harbors Lighthouse: http://www.lighthousebb.org/

Ben Rasmussen said...

Second looks to be the Hotel Chequamegon: http://www.hotelc.com/

Ben Rasmussen said...

I can't nail down a town for your McDonald's pic. I searched flickr for 'mcdonald's michigan' and found several that look like the one you posted. It looks like that's not an old-fashioned McD's, but a new style they're building.

Ben Rasmussen said...

The last one looks to be St. Peter Cathedral:

http://www.stpetercathedral.org/

You can see part of the name on the sign in the bottom right of the picture.

Staci said...

Wish I could help you out here but I don't live in the UP!! Looks like Ben might end up getting all of the answers for you though!!

Lisa R.D. said...

I don't have any answers, but I just wanted to get in on the Upper Peninsula action--I spent five years of my childhood in Michigan and our favorite trips were to the Upper Peninsula. I remember the town Marquette too! Aside from Mackinac Island, the most distinct memory is of some meat pies (pasties?) that we'd eat every summer. I think I might have to tag along next time you take a trip there!

Ruth King said...

The lighthouse is Two Harbors Lighthouse. I've always thought it was a very pretty lighthouse -- love the red. I believe it's a bed and breakfast now.

Booklogged said...

Thank-you so much to you all for your help. They are all correctly identified now in my photobook.