Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recognize this flower/plant?

We saw these flowers near Noddy Bay, Newfoundland. I'm hoping that someone can tell me the name.

I've searched for joint grass, snap grass and horsetail but haven't seen any pictures that look like these. I added a close-up of one blossom (click on picture to enlarge). It looks like the blossom is on a young joint grass stem.

If you have any suggestions I will be most grateful. Unfortunately I only own field guides for the western region of N. America.

7 comments:

Marny said...

I googled it and it looks like Russet Cotton grass - eriophorum chamissonis. Here's another pic on flickr which looks pretty similar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/3143735987/sizes/l/

Booklogged said...

Marny, thanks so much. That is definitely it.

Staci said...

It is really pretty...can you grow it in Michigan I wonder? I love the pop of color!

Marny said...

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help :-)

Jess said...

I don't know what it is called, but it is beautiful.

Have a good weekend,
Jess

Kailana said...

hm, never seen these flowers before. I wonder if they grow in any of the other Atlantic provinces... I haven't been to Nfld, yet.

Deborah Talmadge said...

Thanks for looking in on my blog. I was going to tell you yesterday that the blossom you wanted to know about was Cotton grass. But Marny had already given you the information. They really are pretty. We have a huge thistle around here that looks very similar. Nature is amazing.