Pages

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Wonderlust:A Spiritual Travelogue for the Adventurous Soul.

by Vicki Kuyper

When the publisher asked if I would be interested in reading this book, I was more than a little hesitant. Here is what the email said about this book:
WONDERLUST contains 30 spiritual travelogues of the author’s adventurous journeys around the globe. You will experience your own personal inner pilgrimage toward a better understanding of God and yourself as you join the author on a journey of discovery to find God’s imprint on creation, from hiking the Inca Trail to riding a dogsled across the Arctic tundra. Catch a glimpse of the wonder, beauty, and mystery of God’s world—and your unique place in it and in God’s heart. Each chapter is a minijourney that stretches across 7 states, 15 countries, and 5 continents. A “Personal Journey” section is included for personal reflection questions and journaling space.

The travel part made my heart beat faster, but the religious part caused it to drop in free fall. Now I'm not a pure heathen, but Christian literature can sometimes be a bit of a turn-off for me. I strongly hate when Christians write about Diety in a casual maner, like Jesus was some Joe Smoe off the street. (That made me shudder to write - so offensive.) The other thing I hate is preachiness.

All that said, I loved this book! Kuyper's writing is descriptive and appealing. I discovered many new destinations that I want to visit and some that I can quite easily pass by. I have great admiration for Kuyper and her fortitude. She can climb, hike and endure some challenging journeys. She visited places in the U.S. as close as Colorado and Arizona and as exotic as Italy, Scotland, Thailand, to name a few.

I like how the author converses with God on a regular basis and not always in the typical prayer format. I was reminded often of Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof. And I like how she likened the scriptures to her life and situation.

This is a great bathroom book. The chapters are short. I liked reading it in small chunks so I could ponder it in between readings. I left it on the hamper and my husband picked it up and read it. I brought it out to write this post and he thought I was adding it to my bookmooch inventory. He said, "You can't give that away. I want to read that one again." Of course, I had no thought of mooching it. It's a definite saver and one that I will read over and over. I need to keep my bookdarts and highlighter close by for the next reading.

I hope other's will read this one and share your thoughts with me. I think you'll be glad you did.

Be sure to check out Candleman's review. Candleman is my husband.

7 comments:

Les said...

This sounds intriguing! I'll have a peek at it today at work.

heather (errantdreams) said...

Whoa... what a pretty blog makeover!

Megan said...

Looks like an interesting read. I'll have to check it out!

Joy said...

This one looks like it has promise. :)

Stephanie said...

Sounds fantastic!! Looks like I need to find a copy of this book!

Great review!

Halie said...

Sounds interesting! Although I'm unreligious myself, it would make a great gift for relatives who are.

Danielle said...

I don't generally pick up Christian fiction, NF either, but this sounds tempting. Thanks for the review--I'm adding it to my list!