Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Word for Home

by Joan Clark

I could have read this for the 2nds Challenge because this is my second book by Joan Clark, the first was Latitudes of Melt, which I enjoyed immensely.

The Word for Home is a young adult novel set in pre-Confederation Newfoundland. It's the story of 2 sisters who used to live in Canada, but after their mother died, their father decided to try his luck prospecting for gold in the interior of Newfoundland. With no home of their own, Sadie and flora must stay in a cold, grim boarding house in St. John's.

I liked this book and it got better with each page. I enjoyed getting a feel for the time period and St. John's.

Sadie's description of the headmistress and of her father showed great insight: "She had a man's way of seeming to occupy most of the available space. That is, most men except Sadie's father. Russ Morin was a spindly-legged, narrow-chested man who moved like a dancer, never occupying a solid block of space for long, instead searching for openings he could easily duck through."

3 comments:

Kate S. said...

This one sounds great. I'd love to read about St. John's in that time period.

jenclair said...

I have had Latitudes of Melt on my TBR list for a long time and still have not read it. Now, I must add The Word for Home and actually get copies of them!

Anonymous said...

Is this a sequel to Latitudes of Melt? Just curious.

I'll have to pick this one up for my mother! After I read it to make sure it's suitable for her. ;)